PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done D&DD I too have a store cupboard but probably only have about 4-6 months. I am trying to spend £3 a week on storage. A store cupboard is great in financial need times. I also use it at Christmas for basics then my usual food money is spent on christmas food treats. Keep storing :)
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    I just wanted to say, if I dare, that I hope the posties get a decent settlement. I, for one, was more than happy to put up with the inconvenience in order to make sure they were treated with respect.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow you are so productive.

How on earth to find the time to grow all you veggies plus look after the family and plan ahead for meals like you do.....you must be superwoman. Your baking must take up a lot of time to.

I applaud you though, it is great to hear of someone doing this these days. I remember watching a woman on TV saying she had never actually cooked a meal from scratch and was only capable of putting a ready meal in the oven.....how shameful!
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,664 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Woohoo keep up the good work D&DD!!!! I have ot go to town today so think i will get a few more collapsable crates and see if i have any free and available space around the home where i can hide a few more things - even if it is just a box of different flours as i love baking and cooking so use alot of self raising and bread flour.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Oh you've shamed me-I have a tiny kitchen and a small freezer but a big cellar. The really is no reason not to use it for at least tinned storage if I clear out some of the junk. It's som ething I vaguely think about from time to time but if I post that I'm going to do it on here-I have to do it-Right ? :)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • wendyl1967
    Options
    I store lots of stuff under the stairs on shelves so I am quite lucky that way.

A friend of mine has very little storage in her house but she has an easily removable bath panel where she stores lots of toiletries and tins that do not mind steamy conditions. It made me laugh when I first heard! But it comes in handy
    Wendy
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    Wow D&DD - you are inspiring. I for ages have been saying i want ot grow my own veg as me and bf normally end up struggling financially a couple of times a year either through sickness etc so you are spurring me on to wanting to try growing my own veg as a safety back up type plan. I also am well stocked - not as good as you but pretty well in my household there is only me, oh, DS aged 3, 1 dog and 3 terrapins - so needless to say our food is pretty minimal compared to others (we spend about £80 - £100 a month), Needless to say i will be reading your thread with interest and i think i will definately be making more homemade bread form now on - although i have to do it the good old fashioned way as i am not lucky enough to have a bread maker yet! but i dont mind a nice long day of baking.I will be reading with interest keep up the good work
    Also maybe you should jsut take a photo of your stock cupboards to show us what you have for some meal ideas
    Have you tried asking on freecycle?...I've seen a few posts donating them.
  • sharronloves2spend
    Options
    Hi d&dd, we are in a similar position, my hubs is a postie, and here in Liverpool they are still out, They won't be back untill Thursday at the earliest, so thats two weeks without wages. Fortunatly my freezer is very well stocked. A couple of weeks a go i got a load of meat and ready meals whoopsied in Asda for 10p so we are making are way through all of them. Your cupboard looks fab, mine isn't as well stocked as yours though, well done!! I plan on spending £3.00 today on milk and eggs from Iceland(profit from a car boot sale on sunday) then i don't plan on spending on anything else untill saturday. Love Sharron
    Sometimes your the dog, and sometimes your the lampost..:p
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    sethsgran wrote: »
    Well done D&DD I too have a store cupboard but probably only have about 4-6 months. I am trying to spend £3 a week on storage. A store cupboard is great in financial need times. I also use it at Christmas for basics then my usual food money is spent on christmas food treats. Keep storing :)

Thanks sethsgran,this is how ours started really,a little every week 'just in case'.. It has been a godsend at many times during our lives as we tend to lurch from one crisis to another :rotfl:

I must admit to a feeling of mild panic at the thought of my stores depleting at present though but hey, thats what its really there for..

I think the key to any food store is to buy what you actually eat,I also mainly stock up when the bogofs are on but ONLY if its something I use all the time anyway,it does save in the long run.For example my youngest will not use loo roll so we still have to buy wipes (he's autistic) and we get through tons of the things so when they are on special offer I buy them every week..

The other thing is rotation I always put the new stuff in at the bottom and use the items from the top so everything is used in order..
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Hi d&dd, we are in a similar position, my hubs is a postie, and here in Liverpool they are still out, They won't be back untill Thursday at the earliest, so thats two weeks without wages. Fortunatly my freezer is very well stocked. A couple of weeks a go i got a load of meat and ready meals whoopsied in Asda for 10p so we are making are way through all of them. Your cupboard looks fab, mine isn't as well stocked as yours though, well done!! I plan on spending £3.00 today on milk and eggs from Iceland(profit from a car boot sale on sunday) then i don't plan on spending on anything else untill saturday. Love Sharron

Hi Sharron :hello: I really feel for you up there our hubbies work damn hard and the changes they have brought in so far have been a nightmare for us! The time thing especially..We have 2 kids with disabilities and my OH changed into the p/o to be home to help more :mad: I'm just waiting to see if they give any news out today as if we have to go out again its going to really cause us problems! I wish you and all the boys up there on the picket lines a speedy resolution hopefully with a sensible agreement.:grouphug:
    We're all thinking of you XX D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport