PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I substitute for a lemon?

Options
I am going to make a fish pie from Jamie Olivers "Return of the Naked Chef" book as it looks tasty. It has cream, mustard, lemon juice, spinach and carrots in it and is topped with mashed potato. Trouble is, Im allergic to lemon (I can't even drink lemonade of any sort). I don't know if the juice of one lemon in this recipe will be enough to affect me (I get a stonking migraine for 2 days) as I won't be eating the whole thing myself. But I would feel happier if I could substitute the lemon for something else. I think orange instead would be too sweet. Any ideas?

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about a wine vinegar (am assuming the lemon is partly used for the acidic qualities?)

Or lime (if that doesn't affect you?)
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the past I have used lime juice with a pinch of salt, I don't usually eat salt so this made all the difference & stopped it being sweet but I don;'t know if this would work if you habitually add salt to your food?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    Options
    I dont know if Im allergic to limes. (Im definitely alright with oranges and can drink orange fizzy pop). It took me ages to work out that it was lemons that were causing my trouble. I woke up with a bright red rash on my face after drinking 2 cans of 7-up one evening. As I had also had alcohol I assumed this was the culprit but later found out it wasn't! (I thought I was going to have to go teetotal!:eek:)

Anyway, I digress. I think I may try the wine vinegar in case I am allergic to limes. Thanks for the ideas.
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    What about a wine vinegar (am assuming the lemon is partly used for the acidic qualities?)

Or lime (if that doesn't affect you?)
    that's a good idea icon7.gif
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beachbeth wrote:
    I dont know if Im allergic to limes. (Im definitely alright with oranges and can drink orange fizzy pop). It took me ages to work out that it was lemons that were causing my trouble. I woke up with a bright red rash on my face after drinking 2 cans of 7-up one evening.

Are you sure that 7 Up contains lemon juice? Isn't it just artificial flavouring?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • beachbeth
    Options
    All I know is that if I drink anything that is supposed to have lemon in it I get a stonking headache for two days, whether its 7-Up, Schweppes or a cheaper brand of lemonade. Yet I can drink fizzy orange and other flavours. I would have to drink fresh lemon juice in order to really put it to the test but I don't want to risk the headache!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    what about cider?
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options

Hmm...Michael Howard would be a very good substitute.....

*sorry, sorry, sorry!*
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• beachbeth
    Options
    Allexie wrote:

Hmm...Michael Howard would be a very good substitute.....*sorry, sorry, sorry!*

:rotfl: :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport