How does everyone stay motivated?

It seems to be one constant struggle. (nothing like stating the obvious :rotfl: )

In the recent past we had several months were outgoings outweighed income but now things are better. We are still in a whole heap of debt. I dont want to just sit back thinking we are ok now we can manage. I want to rid ourselves of pointless debt.

Does anyone have any motivation tips? Anyone use any form of visulization? (sp)

I am slowly mastering the art when shopping of stopping myself and asking do I really need this? This month this has meant I havent spent £60 on a new pair of gym trainers, £30 on a new gym bag and yesterday I finally talked myself out of buying a second hand motorbike and learning to ride. Probably saved £1000 there.
Its all the little things like a fiver per day for lunch at work, takeaways and escalating food shopping bills.
Generally I feel I have enough tools in my box to sort our finances out but any tips to stay on the straight and narrow would be much appreciated.
threadbanner.gif
What if the hokey cokey is really whats its all about?

Comments

• My motivation is : The quicker were debt free, the quicker we can have a baby and the quicker we can emmigrate!

Now THAT is motivation!
  • January20
    January20 Posts: 3,769
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have all my financial information on Excel on my computer: all my incoming monies and all my debts. I have a sheet for every debt and I have worked out how much I will be paying off over the next few months. I have targets like when will I reach less than £1000 on my cc for instance, how many payments have I left on my loan.

I find it makes me feel in control and if I feel in control I'm more likely to stick to it. It has also opened my eyes to the amount of interest we pay when we have debts.

I never go shopping for food on a empty stomach and I always go alone with a list and a pencil. DD is too much of a bad influence!

I never take any money to work. I go there to earn money not to spend it. I take my own food and drink into work.

I don't really like clothes or shoe shopping so I'm ok there.

And I try not to let the unexpected get me down.... some days it's easier than others lol!
    LBM: August 2006 £12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
  • I agree that is motivation and my wife and I are also in a similar position where we want children. 2 years ago I really was ready for kids but my wife wasnt. Then her friends starting having them and I guess got her broody. Really I should be thankful that we didnt have kids two years ago as our finances were in a far worse state.

The thing with me is that doesnt stop me popping round to subway for lunch at work or getting a takeaway as we are too tired to cook.
  • Disney holidays, the ones I am dreaming of everytime I see the ads.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• January20 wrote:
    I never take any money to work. I go there to earn money not to spend it. I take my own food and drink into work.

QUOTE]

Thats what I am after. Time to start leaving the wallet at home I guess.
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mr_Burns wrote:
    I agree that is motivation and my wife and I are also in a similar position where we want children. 2 years ago I really was ready for kids but my wife wasnt. Then her friends starting having them and I guess got her broody. Really I should be thankful that we didnt have kids two years ago as our finances were in a far worse state.

The thing with me is that doesnt stop me popping round to subway for lunch at work or getting a takeaway as we are too tired to cook.

Invest in a slow cooker. I wouldn't be without mine.

Have a look at the OS board and you will pick up lots of tips to make your life easier like doing a menu plan for the week, etc.
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mr_Burns wrote:
    January20 wrote:

QUOTE]

Thats what I am after. Time to start leaving the wallet at home I guess.

Sometimes I think I must be getting a little mean but I find there is always a birthday or a leaving party for someone I don't really know. This week it's been buying Valentine's day roses. Rather that argue with people that I'm single (the answer to which is buy it for your DD :mad: ) or I think it's commercial, I just say "sorry I have no money on me"
  • January20 wrote:
    Invest in a slow cooker. I wouldn't be without mine.

Have a look at the OS board and you will pick up lots of tips to make your life easier like doing a menu plan for the week, etc.

Do you know this is so typical of us. We bought a slow cooker probably 18 months ago. Never used, still in its box. God I could slap myself sometimes.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    ancasta wrote:
    My motivation is : The quicker were debt free, the quicker we can have a baby and the quicker we can emmigrate!

Now THAT is motivation!

Similar for me. My boyf is talking about us emigrating to Oz, and having visited there I would love to go with him. Also the children thing - when (if) we settle down to do this then I want to be totally debt free even though he earns a good salary.

Also to stay motivated I read this board every day - and post on thr 'What have you spent' thread!

Catt xx
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    I don't know what state your credit rating is in (apologies if you've posted this elsewhere) but I got into debt from credit cards straight after I left school.

One of the ways I stayed motivated was imagining being debt-free and getting a cashback credit card and making some of the money back that CC companies had taken from me! (I've now done this!)

It's true I learnt a lot about 'the best things in life being free' (real friends, beautiful views in nature etc) but imagining a full ISA was also helped sometimes!

Also (too personal?!) when I was really tired and doing several jobs and tons of overtime I would sometimes play that hip-hop tune in my head'You can do it, put your back into it'. Even though I know the intended meaning is FILTHY, it still motivated me. Maybe you could choose a theme song?

Digression: I remember the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is forced to do overtime and Mr Burns puts up a sign in his office which says 'Remember you're here forever'. Marge is preggers with Maggie, hence the overtime and when she's born, Homer puts up photos of her so the sign reads 'Remember you're here for her'. I actually cried when I saw this episode ( I was up to my neck in debt at the time and have such respect for DFWs with children.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure