What are Essential Outgoings?

Have had a look at the CCCS website and am getting a call for the SOA next week.

Am a bit confused as I've been told that things like newspapers, fags, Sky TV etc cannot be included as essential outgoings. It also appears that you are quite limited with the amount you can claim for phones etc i.e I have a landline, a broadband account and a mobile and this adds up to £80 pm. Our dog also has an ongoing medical condition which costs at least £50 pm but it appears you cannot spend this much....looks like the pooch will have to be put to sleep:eek:

only joking....but seriously, can someone explain what CCCS will actually allow to be included.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,342
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Someone else will have to comment on CCCS but these are some maximums from Payplan (£ per month):
    Elec 60
    Gas 40
    Phone 40
    Road tax & MOT 18 per car (need to justify more than one car)
    car maintenance 30
    breakdown cover 8
    food & housekeeping: 190 single; 320 couple; 80 kid under 14; 100 kid over 14
    pets 25
    dentist 5
    optician 15
    hair 5
    clothes 20
    school meals 25
    nappies & baby items 30
  • No experience in this, but I would consider essential outgoings to be rent/mortgage, council tax, heating, lighting, water, food and groceries and a cheap car with cheap running costs if you need it to get to work.

Whether CCCS see it differently I don't know but I'm sure someone will be along soon who does.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • I can't tell you what their guidelines are but they are there to help you. So lets say you don't have a car for example. They will put your car costs down as £50 a month so that you can legislate (for a better word) the medicine your dog needs. :)

Thats how I've been led to believe it works so don't worry. The pooch can stay! :j ;)
  • Pan_3
    Pan_3 Posts: 80 Forumite
    fatbelly wrote:
    Someone else will have to comment on CCCS but these are some maximums from Payplan (£ per month):
    Elec 60
    Gas 40
    Phone 40
    Road tax & MOT 18 per car (need to justify more than one car)
    car maintenance 30
    breakdown cover 8
    pets 25
    dentist 5
    optician 15
    hair 5
    clothes 20
    school meals 25
    nappies & baby items 30

What about commuting costs. I pay £60 on bus and train fares to work. I do not own a car. I see you don't list anything for fags! It is on the CCCS list and I saw this as a way of making up a shortfall on the pet stuff as I don't smoke. Surprised that CCCS could include this.
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    I found the cccs allowances very generous, I actually reduced some of what they allowed as I don't spend anywhere near as much on certain things as they suggested was the average.

if you post a SOA we maybe able to give you more advice on how you can same money in some places to spend in others :)
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I don't understand those figures. If I am a single person what would the £190 be for ?

And if my property has no gas then surely the gas and elec would be added together for elec ?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I guess it all depends on your family circumstances. I certainly don't have or need broadband. I hardly spend anything on my mobile. I don't want Sky. I don't smoke. The dog I would have more sympathy for, but £50 per month is a lot....

Seriously though, can you cut back on some of these things?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    anniecave wrote:

I don't understand those figures. If I am a single person what would the £190 be for ?

And if my property has no gas then surely the gas and elec would be added together for elec ?

Food, toiletries, cleaning materials, laundry. Anything else?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    They are called trigger figures. Look at this link:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=320977&highlight=trigger+figures

Lenny
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    anniecave wrote:
    The dog I would have more sympathy for, but £50 per month is a lot....

It is a lot but vet meds are expensive - even common ones. It is not difficult to spend £50 a month... my old dog died last week but she had medication for thyroid and for arthritis - two medications each about £50 every 6 weeks! You can get them cheaper via the web - but need a prescription. I was going to do that this month but won't have to now :(.

But on the allowable budgets - the amount for groceries allowed is huge - so surely that could offset the dog?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure