PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pudding rice for risotto?????

Options
I'm making a mushroom risotto tonight (it's my first one - wish me luck!!) however, i couldn't get hold of risotto rice. However, when i was sorting out my cupboards i stumbled across a bag of pudding rice, which looks remarkably similar to risotto rice. Is it secretly the same thing :shhh: :confused:

If that's a big no no, then i also have white long grain rice and brown basmati rice - which would you use?

Many thanks - your advice is always appreciated

Comments

• CannyAnnie_3
    Options
    It will work OK, providing you don't mind it being really gummy. I used to use it sometimes when I was a student because it was cheaper then long grain.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I'm making a mushroom risotto tonight (it's my first one - wish me luck!!) however, i couldn't get hold of risotto rice. However, when i was sorting out my cupboards i stumbled across a bag of pudding rice, which looks remarkably similar to risotto rice. Is it secretly the same thing :shhh: :confused:

If that's a big no no, then i also have white long grain rice and brown basmati rice - which would you use?

Many thanks - your advice is always appreciated

I would have thought they're much the same thing? Because they're both short-grain, rather than long-grain, which is what you want for risotto. HTH
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Fivenations
    Options
    Never tried it myself but as someone rasied on risotto I cannot imagine it will be as good. Yes, Arborio rice is shortgrain and starchy but, when cooked properly, it also stays firm in the cenrte. Pudding rice is starchier and does not, in my experience from eating it, retain any texture. Please let us know how you get on.
    NSD 0/15
  • CannyAnnie_3
    Options
    Never tried it myself but as someone rasied on risotto I cannot imagine it will be as good. Yes, Arborio rice is shortgrain and starchy but, when cooked properly, it also stays firm in the cenrte. Pudding rice is starchier and does not, in my experience from eating it, retain any texture. Please let us know how you get on.

That's what I meant about it being really gummy. But since arborio rice wasn't available in England when I was a student, I doubt many Italians would recognise my risotto either! :rolleyes:
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    I have used pudding rice for paella and it worked fine for me. I guess just make sure you don't over cook it. Let us know how it went!
  • DebtphobicDeirdre
    Options
    I've used pudding rice for risotto too. No problem,provided Gordon Ramsay isn't coming tonight.
    earn what you can, save what you can, give what you can :hello:
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    Would it be ok? I want to make risotto for tea tomorrow night but Mr T had sold out of risotto rice. I have plenty of pudding rice so if I could use that instead it'd save me having to go somewhere else to get some.

Thanks x
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    I use pudding rice - it's loads cheaper than risotto rice! I'm not a gourmand or anything, but I've not noticed a substantial difference in flavour or texture!
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    I always use pudding rice :-)
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant! Thanks for the replies!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories