Funding for a Course?

jet77
jet77 Posts: 1,586 Forumite
edited 20 April 2010 at 9:13PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi,

I want to do a course to become a canine behavioral therapist - the one I have in mind is in 2 stage Foundation and Advanced. Foundation is £400 and Advanced £700.

I know that once I have completed these courses I'll be able to set up my own business doing something I love and it will be really worthwhile but I'm approx £6k in debt and dont want to get myself in any further.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know if there are any grants available to help me fund my training?

Thanks.

PS MODS I'm cross posting from student board cos haven't had a response yet and it will be a way to make me DF once up and running .... hope this is ok x

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
JUST DO IT ONE BRICK AT A TIME
PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
Weekly Budget: groceries£50/petrol£50/Unnecesary£15
DEBT PAID = 58% (£4,212/£8216):T

Comments

• barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Go to your nearest large reference library and spend some time looking through the Educational Grants Directory and other similar volumes. There are lots of small organisations that give grants to, for example, students living in a particular borough or even parish or old pupils from a particular school. Often nobody applies for these so a bit of patient work can get you a lot of money. If you library subscribes to https://www.knowuk.co.uk you may be able to access these directories online from your home (check the libraries webpage for details of online resources). It will take a bit of work but if you don't ask, you don't get!
  • jet77
    Thank you so much - your post is really helpful :) .... off to look at local library w/site ...
  • Try having a look at skillsaccounts . direct . gov . uk

My local college gave me the link as the course I have applied to start in September qualifies for funding through this government scheme.

Sorry about not being able to post a proper link but I am new to the site.
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Worth reading, career-development-loans? - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/career-development-loans
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • jet77
    Thank you so much for all your advice - I'm still looking through and will let you know how I get on.
  • saverholic
    saverholic Posts: 161 Forumite
    I don't know if it still exists (I used it over 12 months ago now) but there used to be a computer program you could use at the local Connexions centre that was essentially a questionnaire about your personal situation and at the end it would list any grants etc that you fit the criteria for.

Like barbarawright said some of the small organisations can have very specific requirements but it can be well worth a couple of hours investigating. I remember from my list grants for people in certain areas, who had done certain jobs in the past etc. There was even one for people whose parents had been involved in the green grocer trade :)
  • jet77
    Thank you for all the ideas so far - I haven't found anything that fit the bill exactly but will keep on searching :) Am working my way through this at the mo http://www.grantsonline.org.uk/Grant%20Making%20Trusts%20Directory.htm
  • My first ever forum post!
    Been looking into behaviour courses too and thought I'd pass on a couple of things I found out that you might already know! Not about funding but relevant to your choice of course.
    Pet behaviour counselling courses are variable and not that well regulated. The association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors has a list of approved courses on their website apbc.org.uk. It's pretty challenging to become a member of the APBC but it's a good mark of quality. Also, seeing an APBC member can be covered by pet insurance (where the policy includes cover for behavioural therapy) whereas non-members might not be covered.
    Unfortunately it's a job that doesn't pay brilliantly, but it really sounds like a real passion for you and it is undoubtedly a growth area so I wish you all the best and good luck in the search for funding. :)
  • jet77
    Thanks for that glasgowcath - I'll have a good look at their website.

I went to the reference library and went through the Educational Grants Directory and then wrote to 9 charitable trusts asking whether they could offer any financial assistance and also applied to family learning for a grant ... so fingers crossed :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business