left over material???

homealone_2
homealone_2 Posts: 2,004
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 9 February 2010 at 9:33PM in Old style MoneySaving
i have a lovely brown snuggly bath robe that was destined for the bin when i began to wonder what, if anything i could do with it to give it another lease of life. i do have a sewing machine but not confident enough to use it yet. so whatever sewing involved would need to be by hand. reason for its untimely demise is it has lots of small burn holes (long story) in it and dont like wearing it anymore. anyone have any ideas???

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Cut sleeves and then hand-sew together to make a tube, sew one end of tube and stuff with remaining robe material, sew up other end, use as draughtstopper.

Or, cut up for dish-rags.

Re. machine-sewing, believe me I understand the lack of confidence, been there, but it only takes a few times and someone to show you and then you can go and do so many things, it is really liberating.

If you acquire some machine skills you could turn the robe into a few small towels, face flannels, even reusable sanitary towels, by zigzagging the edges to avoid fraying. Mind you, if you couldn't care less about fraying you can just cut the fabric up and use, then when too frayed you can use as dish- and floor-rugs.

Hope it helps, best wishes with trying to get some machining skills!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    snuggly cushions - and good for practice on the machine.
    Cut 2 big squares, turn them inside out, so the eventual outside is currently on the inside, tack it by hand around 3 of the edges, or if lazy like me, pin it, then get that machine out and sew it around the edges. For the final side, sew about a third in from each edge, leaving a "stuff it gap" and stuff it with some of the rest of the dressing gown, or any old soft things you have! then use an "invisible stitch" you can probably google it, but you kind of do a hand over sew and link the cotton through and under the last stitch IYSWIM.
    I dont know what sort of dressing gown it is, but at worst it will be a great bath pillow! At best, it will look cool on your bed or sofa, and you will have practiced and gotten confidence with the machine! Its all win!

Use the arms as suggested, I think the draught excluder is a great idea, I would never have thought of that and it is so easy to sew up the ends and practice on the machine too.

Dont worry about the burns, I have some in mine too ! no need to explain!;)
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    Forumite
    You could cut it into lengths, blanket stitch round the edge and you have a scarf!
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    cut of the arms, attach elastic to either end - leg warmers for a retro 80's look!!
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I suggest cushions too - simple straight lines, nice & easy for practicing on the sewing machine. You could use ribbon or buttons to decorate them.
  • I don't have a sewing machine, but if I have any tea towels or hand towels that are past their best I spend an evening sitting hand sewing them around (sort of hemming) and make dusters,cleaning towels ,face flannels ect .I have at the moment a huge bath sheet that I have had for so long its definitely past using to dry with as there are holes here and there in it.I will cut it down to various sizes to use as cleaning cloths or small hand towels.It is a Christy's one and was good quality when I bought it .Nothing ever goes to waste in my house I will find a use for it somehow,even the smaller bits will go into my rag-bag for cleaning cloths for my DGS car
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004
    Forumite
    thanks everyone, some great ideas there. i do like the idea of making a cushion as it is more of a fun fur material than terry but worry i may have holes in the squares i cut, which may then need to add some little crochet flowers over them. if nothing else the sleeves are definitely making a draught excluder. may even use 2 squares if i can work 2 out of material without holes and turn into a bag using the belt as a shoulder strap
  • I have just made 2 turbies for your hair from an old towel - dead easy
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • Murrell
    Murrell Posts: 520 Forumite
    You may find something interesting on this link. I so want to make the boots, just need to find a old sweater to use.

The Anti-Ugg Boot: 10 DIY Boots and Slippers You Can Make

Making boots and slippers from old sweaters and upcycled materials are a toasty warm DIY solution for keeping the chill at bay.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fashion-beauty/ugg-boot-diy-slippers.html

Good luck with whatever you make.
    Sandra
  • fruugal
    fruugal Posts: 22 Forumite
    As it's fun fur and not towelling you could also make a faux fur gilet.

Measure from the side of your neck down to the length you might want.

Get a pattern if you are not confident on this. There are some great ones and if it is faux fur then it would work well.

Otherwise, if you have a big waistcoat you could lay that down and cut a pattern on newspaper.

2 x front
    1 x back on fold

With faux fur you need to be careful in cutting it out from the fabric back rather than with the fur side showing.

Any burn holes can be covered with groups of big pallette sequins in the same colour or a contrast.

You could have a new lease of life on this.

Just turn the edges in or, if you feel confident, cut a lining the same size, pin it into position and hand sew. The best possible finish is to hand sew.

Cinch it up with a brilliant belt to make a brand new outfit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure