£20 a week for food for the next 3 weeks any ideas?

hi everyone!

received quite an extortionate bill from the management company that "runs" our block of flats yestrday which has left the both of us with £20 a week for food for the next 3 weeks!

any ideas??

Best Wishes

Luke:beer:

Comments

• fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lots of pasta bakes?

Asda have a massive, (I mean it is HUGE) bag of pasta for £1 just now. Make up your own sauces with chopped tomatoes and garlic.

Risotto rice goes a long way too.

hope this helps

fluffynit
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Risotto and pasta are the way to go. I make risotto for two and use a rasher of bacon each, plumped up with onions and peas and mushrooms and stuff.

Try chunky homemade soups, particularly root vegetables, and flavour with caraway seeds and balsamic vinegar. Dip in toast.

Jacket potatoes with tuna and mayo or a chilli/bolognese sauce are nice and filling.

Breakfast cereal is good as an emergency.

Omelettes are also nice and cheap.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Hiya & Welcome

Just see your thread in the DFW section.

If it was me, I would make a list of all the food you already ahve in the fridge, freezer cupboards and see what meals you could make from them or what ingredients you would need to make the meals up IYSWIM.

We have meals like:

Roasts
    Stews
    Shepards Pie
    Sausage & Mash
    Egg & Chips
    Toad In Hole
    Spagbol
    Curry & Rice
    Chilli Con Carne
    HM Fish Pie
    HM Pies

Cooking a chicken could make 2/3 meals. 1 x roast, 1 x Pie with pastry on top, or chicken cury etc then either a sandwich or salad with the leftovers.

Take leftovers or sarnies to work. Bulk out meals with spuds, pasta or in season veg.

What foods do you like?

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Look in your cupboards and freezer, see what you already have and post it for us to look at. We might be able to make some suggestions of what to spend your money on to make your supplies go furthest.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Tecso have a 2 for £5 chicken offer on just now, that would give you 6 meals plus stock for soup and also some bits mixed with mayo for sandwiches. !lb mince 3 pasta meals 2 x Spag bol and one pasta bake or add beans and chilli powder to one lot, chilli with rice......make your own tomato sauce with a value tin of tommys, onion and garlic, one pasta meal and one pizza, make the base with 4ozs flour, 1 oz marg a little salt mix with milk and roll out into a base, cover with tom sauce and top with grated cheese. Omelettes.....macoroni cheese with salad........rissotto........

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    Previous suggestions are all good. I'd go veggie for protein & use things like beans & lentils or a mixture of legumes & brown rice.
    These can be made into a huge variety of curries, pasta sauces, chilli, fahitas, burgers, casseroles - just use your imagination & convert the food you normally eat into bean or lentil versions.
    Just to give you an idea of how cheap it can be, last night I soaked a kilo of mixed dried beans & this morning I cooked them. Today I've used some to make up 3 big bean burgers, I'll have one tonight & have frozen the others. There's also enough cooked beans frozen into portions for at least another 20 meals so I've got a minimum of 23 meals for me for a couple of pounds plus whatever flavourings & veg I have with them.
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Dobie, how do you make the bean burgers please because I am veggie and grow lots of different sorts of beans and dry many of them but I don't know how to make bean burgers.
    Wombling £457.41
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    £20 a week for two people is loads! I bet you;ve got food in your house that would feed you for that long anyway.

As suggested, make a list of what you do have, and what meals can be made out of it, then only shop for what you need to make enough meals for that time.

you'll survive easily.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • lukemed1
    lukemed1 Posts: 511 Forumite
    Thanks guys!

just had a look whats in my cupboards- mainly left over pasta so just been to sainsburys and got loadsa pasta sauces, potatoes, some tinned curries and savoury rice and some washing powder, oh, and some cheese, came to £12, should get 2 or 3 meals from that:j oh and i met my sister in there and she gave me £3 for taking her and her kids and shopping home!:j

any more ideas?

Best Wishes

Luke:beer:
  • Lindylou54
    Lindylou54 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Finally when the chicken carcass is empty, I then stew it with vegetables!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure