meals out of a roast chicken

I read somewhere that you can get loads of meals out of one chicken.
I have brought a chicken and going to roast it tonight.
Can anyone point me in the direction of the post or tell me how to get more meals out of one chicken?

Thanks in advance!
Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
Debt £17,294 - 7th March

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Try using the search facility for "rubber chicken".
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Depends hoe many there are of you, two of us I get 3 meals plus soup, one breast sliced with all the trimmings when its hot, the two legs with salad, the other breast made in fricassee or somesuch and then the cracass made into stock for soup.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Hi

Theres 3 of us and we tend to do a roast dinner on the sunday, then use the rest in a curry or HM pie and theres normally some left for a round of sarnies or with a baked spud for light lunch.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I've just served up a roast chicken (with rice cooked in chicken stock from a previous roast chicken;) ) and there isn't that much left.Normally I'd make a pie or do chicken pilaff,but there isn't enough for a pie and I don't want to do pilaff as we've just had rice.I think I'll make some more stock and do a spicy chicken broth with some chilies and a few veg and the remains of the meat.Me and OH will have that tomorrow and the kids can have beans on toast:D

A really useful book on the subject of stretching more expensive ingredients is The New English Kitchen by Rose Prince.This is what she suggests you do with a roast chicken;

Meal 1-roast chicken for 4
    Meal 2-Cold chicken salad for 4
    Meal 3-chicken sandwiches for 2
    Meal 4-a vegetable soup made with the stock from the chicken for 4
    Meal 5-mushroom risotto made with the rest of the stock for 2

This is with a large free-range or organic bird which might cost £14.Sounds a lot,but divide it by the number of servings (16) and it works out at 87p per serving.

The book has similar suggestions for beef,lamb ,pork ,venison and a loaf of bread.She also tells you how to roll one meal into another by deliberately cooking extra rice, couscous or lentils for example.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Meat Book has an excellent chapter on 'meat thrift' which has delicious suggestions for stretching meat and using leftovers.

HTH:)
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Chicken and mushroom pie.Buy a tin of cambells condensed mushroom soup( do`nt dilute it though) add this to some roast chicken,season, put the mixture into pastry.
    I make this for my family, we all love it.
    val
  • clareski
    clareski Posts: 951
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Similar to the chicken pie idea.... I use the breast of the chicken for a roast dinner, then with the 'scraps' i mix them with a can of undilted Campbells mushroom soup, and either serve with rice or pasta. Easy way of getting fussy people to eat the underneath of the chicken too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure