PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dried pulses question

Options
Sorry for the longwinded question, I've just aquired a free slow cooker so I'd like a bit of advice for using pulses. ???

I try to make stews go further by bulking out with lentils and a 'stew mix' which has lentils, peas, barley... The lentils I think only need to simmer for 20 mins so for a normal oven caserole I have just put them in dried and the stew mix I think needs to soak overnight.

I presume I can add at the start as normal with no soaking. Would the stew mix need soaking overnight still? I am hoping to be able to leave the veg and stock in the slow cooker overnight and then add the meat and turn on in the morning for the next days tea. Would this be enough soaking for the stew mix? If I'm not leaving the stuff overnight would I be able to microwave the stew mix and then add it? Also I've read that tinned kidney beans would disintegrate if left in a slow cooker all day, but if I'm using dried ones do I just add them at the start and would they need presoaking/microwaving.

Comments

• wisdom_2
    Options
    As far as I know most dried peas/beans need soaking overnight and then boiling rapidly for 10minutes. You could soak them overnight in the stock, but the slow cooker would not boil them rapidly and you do need to do this (although I am not exactly sure why ???).

Barley and lentils do not need to be soaked or boiled rapidly but you could do if they are mixed in with the peas/beans.

Hope this helps
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need to boil beans like kidney beans, any of the 'long' beans like that or fava beans etc, because of toxins. For those beans I always soak overnight (or all day) then boil for 15 minutes, then simmer til soft, or else add to the slow cooker after the 'boil'
    Chick peas need soaking and boiling, the difference being you can use the chick pea boiling water for stock but you should discard bean boiling water.
    Hope im making sense, stay with me!!!

Black eye beans dont need soaking you can just simmer.

Lentils, red green or brown, do not need soaking. Put them straight in the slow cooker.

Speaking of many years experience as a veggie/vegan but now a meat eater of anything that moves, but still a lot of beans;D
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help I can now perhaps brave a chille in the slow cooker and start bulking casseroles out with more beans and pulses. :)
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So far I've only used lentils and pearl barley which have been okay. How about tinned kidney beans or chick peas??? Do you stick them in at the start or put them in for the last hour or so??
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chick peas for last hour, but none of us like kidney beans so not sure with those.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, Tinned kidney beans the same as chick peas.

I left them all day in the slow cooker once and they burnt on the top  >:(

Who does like kidney beans ??? Sheel made a good suggestion to use a tin of baked beans instead, I'm going to try that next time.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm - I like kidney beans ;D
  • Austin_Allegro_2
    Options
    I love kidney beans. Sainsbury's economy range are about 17p a tin, very good for making chilli with.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I like kidney beans ;D

has anyone ever tried sprouting dried pulses/seeds apart from normal alfalfa etc ?

I know you can't sprout kidney beans (because they contain toxins) but you can sprout dried chickpeas, fenugreek seeds, whole lentils etc apparently, has anyone tried it??

I just stocked up on dried pulses at Morrisons to take back to uni - previously have only used tinned ones - but dried are so much cheaper, lighter to carry, and take up less room! we'll see how it goes..!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dont sprout any of the kidney bean type beans, as you say there are toxins in them, but i have tried mung beans, green lentils, chickpeas and others i have forgotten about
    do them in a jar with a piece of old CLEAN! tights over the end, so you can rinse and drain them out every day.
    the beans or lentils need a soak beforehand They are NOTHING like the bean sprouts (they are mung beans) you buy in the shops, and at least you know exactly how they have been produced if you make your own.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts