PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ideas for easy party food

I'm having a party for about 20-25 adults.
It'll be an informal affair and I want to provide a buffet.
I'm trying to think of things that can be prepared beforehand, things that will require a minimal amount of cooking and nothing that will need watching carefully as I'd like to be taking part in the fun as well rather than standing at the cooker!
Can any of you OSers help me out with some inspiration?

Comments

• maxamos
    maxamos Posts: 104 Forumite
    I used to do some of these for buffets at a pub I ran

Make a largish pot of simple tomato sauce (chop one onio and a couple of cloes of garlic very finely and fry until very soft and a few tins of cheap tomatoes and seasoning and cook until very thick) then use this as a spread for open sandwiches on french bread (top with chorizo sausage, slices of roasted peppers or other med veg, mozzarella cheese etc.) you can do this the day before and let the sauce go cold and just add your toppings before the party. I also used to over salt the sauce and add some baby potatoes that has been spiked with a fork and let them cook in the sauce until soft for a different potatoe salad.

Pinwheels made from ready rolled puffed pastry just spread on some pesto or tapenade then roll up, slice and bake in the oven.

Homemade dips and chips/crudites always look and taste good and can easily be made before the party.

I also make nachos with chilli, just make up a pot of chilli and great some cheese then when your guests arrive put some nachos on a plate, smother with some chilli sprinkle over the cheese and bang in the microwave for a few minutes until cheese bubbles (add some chopped chillis for garnish)

HTH

Max

I forgot to say pretty much all of the main work for these can be done the day before leaving plentyof time for enjoying the party.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Eddie,

I would do a couple of hot dishes eg a lasagne and a beef stroganoff or sweet and sour pork that can be prepared beforehand and will just need heated up. Then perhaps cold meats and green salad. Fill it out with things like coleslaw, egg mayonaise, pasta salads and garlic bread etc.

There are lots of ideas on these older threads:

Buffet Ideas

Christeing Buffet ideas?

Pink
  • maxamos
    maxamos Posts: 104 Forumite
    I'm getting forgetful :)

I also forgot to mention that if you make the tomato sauce any left over can be frozen and makes a great base for a quick bolognaise etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure