PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ambient healthy packed lunch ideas?

Options
Morning, I have seen lots of ideas on here and in the index for healthy ideas for taking a packed lunch to work. However, if I am on the road I can't guarantee the use of a fridge. I do have a cool block thing but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for food that doesnt need chilling? I cant see beyond crispbreads so I need inspiration.

I am particularly looking for low fat ideas.
Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00

Comments

• nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm interested in this too. My only problem is some limitations :
    • No nuts or seeds (allergy sufferer in the school, who can't even go near anyone who's had nuts or seeds :eek: )
    • No chocolate (as above)
    • No cooked meats (she's always ill whenever I give her cooked meat sandwiches for her packed lunch :confused: )
    • She's 5 so it's got to be something thats easy to eat and not too messy.
    Will be grateful of some new ideas, I think she's starting to get fed up with a cheese sandwich, carton drink (no bottles allowed), a fairy cake/small bag of biscuits, packet of raisins. If I have really small apples I might put one in but lately I've been including a small fromage frais which wont' be such a good idea in the hot weather :eek:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For kids packed lunch try humzingers. I can only get them in Tesco but I think larger Boots stock them - http://www.humdinger-foods.co.uk/ourProd_humzingers.html
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm interested too, as I have this problem with DH and his packed lunches if he is away from his office and it ends up costing a fortune for him to buy a sandwich out.

nicki-Don't they allow a flask (sports type of bottle) that is refillable. It must cost a fortune to provide a carton drink each day
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Use a cool block and/or freeze a small carton of juice to keep your lunch cool. Also use one of the cool bag type of lunch bags.

Try rice salads, cous cous ,with raisins and apple or lemon juice, parsley and salad veg. Both these hold up to being stored well.

HTH
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spendless wrote:
    nicki-Don't they allow a flask (sports type of bottle) that is refillable. It must cost a fortune to provide a carton drink each day
    From what I can gather they don't allow even sports bottles so I just stock up on Asda's own carton drinks at the start of each term. I buy the kids "Great Stuff" brand and pure juice as well in multipacks (98p for 6 cartons which lasts about a week or so as I alternate the cordial ones - here - with pure juice ones at about 58p for 3 - here ). ATM I think I have enough to last me until the end of the school year! :eek: I don't mind too much about the cost though as it still works out cheaper than school dinners and since I make a lunch for OH anyway it's not too bad, plus I know exactly what she is drinking at lunch time and can keep her diet reasonably healthy.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very quick side salad idea to have with or in a sandwich. Grate a carrot, add some sprouted beans and drizzle some lemon juice over it. It's good with pumpkin or sesame seeds and/or sliced beetroot too.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    I find cous cous or bulgar wheat great. What I do is make a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, ground cumin, black pepper, mixed herbs. Mix it all together, pour over the cous cous and I then add chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber and some chickpeas, stir all together and bingo!! Yummy lunch!:drool:
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure about the OP but I don't think I've made it clear the ideas I'm looking for. Hubby is often visiting customers all round the country. He doesn't always get to use their facilities for his lunch, so he is stuck to eating his own dinner in the car. Anything messy, anything that needs to be eaten with a spoon or fork or that could stain are out really, cos of him getting stuff on his suit and tie. I can't think of anything other than sandwiches he can take, and I find sandwich fillings in hot weather very hard to think up. Him buying sandwiches out for these reasons are costing us quite a lot of our budget, which is why I'm desperate for some help.
  • sarah0404
    sarah0404 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    If you make sandwiches or rolls and freeze them they defrost in the lunch box by lunchtime. They also help to keep everything else in the lunch box cool. That might help if you aren't able to keep your lunch cool in the fridge. Cheese and meat sandwiches freeze well, but things like lettuce don't freeze so well. You need to add salad after you take them out the freezer.
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Spendless wrote:
    Not sure about the OP but I don't think I've made it clear the ideas I'm looking for. Hubby is often visiting customers all round the country. He doesn't always get to use their facilities for his lunch, so he is stuck to eating his own dinner in the car. Anything messy, anything that needs to be eaten with a spoon or fork or that could stain are out really, cos of him getting stuff on his suit and tie. I can't think of anything other than sandwiches he can take, and I find sandwich fillings in hot weather very hard to think up. Him buying sandwiches out for these reasons are costing us quite a lot of our budget, which is why I'm desperate for some help.

What about getting a little ice pack, or freezing a small bottle of water to keep the food cool?
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure