PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

wheatgerm recipes?

Options
Evening everyone!

Due to health reasons I want to increase my intake of wheatgerm, currently I sprinkle it over my breakfast, but was wondering if any of you use it, and if someone could point me in the direction of any recipes. Thanks in advancs

Regards
Doddsy
We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
– Marian Wright Edelman

Comments

• tallulah_beaulah
    Options
    Do you do any baking? I add a tablespoon or so of wheatgerm to anything I'm baking, eg bread, flapjacks, parkin.

Possibly, you could sprinkle it into stews, too, I've done that with bran before. I don't know of any recipes that use wheatgerm as a main ingredient, but adding a little to everything would increase your intake.

Oh, I add wheatgerm to my HM cereal too, and I bet it would be nice mixed in with some fruit yogurt. Added to any dish that's that's quite liquid-y would probably work.
    "Then, when every last cent
    Of their money was spent,
    The Fix-it-Up Chappie packed up
    And he went."

Dr Seuss
  • doddsy
    doddsy Posts: 396 Forumite
    Options
    many thanks tb!! I will certainly try it in flapjack and perhaps coconut crunch, and probably yogurt too. I wonder if cooking it takes away any goodness??!

regards
    Doddsy
    We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
    – Marian Wright Edelman
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    My H bought this last year and it's been lurking the cupboard ever since.
    I have no idea what to use it for :confused:
    Best before date shows as August 2008 but those dates have never stopped me using something before :D - does this stuff spoil (even if it's never been opened).
    Or shall I just toss it (or feed the birds with it)?
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • HariboJunkie
    Options
    I use wheatgerm in wheaten bread.

I can't post the recipe I use as I think it's copyrighted but THIS one is similar.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    Thanks - will have a stab at that!
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I mix mine into porridge and muesli... in fact, I've run out ...
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I mix mine into porridge and muesli... in fact, I've run out ...

You can have mine you if you really want it (and trust an internet weirdo ;) ) otherwise I've got to buy seeds etc to try and make that loaf that HariboJunkie suggested........
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    How about adding a couple of spoonfuls every time you make a 'mince' dish. It will just disappear (apart from thickening the gravy a bit) but you will still be getting the goodness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport