I've wrecked my jumper

Twinny99
Twinny99 Posts: 1,453
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 8 September 2009 at 6:57PM in Old style MoneySaving
Is there anything I can do? It was red wool and I admit that it said handwash only but I've had it months and washed it loads of times in a garment bag in the machine on a 30 minute 30 degree wash but tonight its come out and it feels like felt and its really really small.......please dont tell me it's ruined?? Is there anything I can do???? :confused:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    If it feels like felt, then you probably HAVE felted it, unfortunately. However, it is always worth trying to rescue it and for that, you have to r-e-l-a-x the wool. Fill a basin three quarters full of hand-hot water. Now squirt in A LOT of hair conditioner - yep, Pantene, Tressemme, Tesco own brand - whatever you have in the house. Zhuzh it round until it "melts", then fill your basin up with cold water. It should be barely tepid. Lower your jumper in carefully and GO TO BED. Do NOT swirl your jumper round in the water - that will make it felt more.

In the morning, let the water out of the sink and then GENTLY pull the jumper to see if you can get it to stretch back into shape. Do not squeeze or roll. Just pull (probably over the bath, LOL!) until you can`t pull any more. If it`s going to be rescued. now is the time it will stretch back. Once you`ve got it to size you can squeeze more water out and then let it dry flat. Or you can hang it up and let the weight of the water pull it into shape.

Worth a try. Good luck!
  • Twinny99
    Twinny99 Posts: 1,453
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks ChocClare - I didn't know what to search on here for thats why I posted my 'emergency' thread but since I wrote my friend suggested I search 'shrunk' (logical huh why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:)

Anyway I read about the hair conditioner but I haven't got a basin so had to do it in the bath but I'd already taken it out by the time I read your message :o

Soooo there are huge clumps of red felt/wool all in the bath and floor, one angry flatmate and one (still wrecked) jumper....great evening :rolleyes:

Im off to clean the bathroom now!
  • Shame about the jumper - but now it's good and felted, why not cut off the arms, and make either a cushion cover or a bag (using the arms as handles). I'm sure the crafty people will be able to help out, if you're not sure.
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2009 at 2:12PM
    That happened to one of my (bargainous in a sale in Spain) cashmere jumpers. Really, just persevere with the conditioner. I massaged it into my jumper, left it a few hours and then slowly stretched my jumper back into shape. Tonnes of fibres shed but it was fine after a while. Then I rinsed it in coldish water and hung it up to dry on a hanger (the water weight helped stretch it back) in the shower.

For me, the answer was never to let Mr Maitane wash and dry clothes again. My jumper survived both a 40 degree wash and being dried to the point of bone dry in the dryer. On the other hand, it was the most luxurious dryer fluff ever seen in his student house - lucky his housemate was there to save the day!
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sometimes the fatal difference in what you think is the same wash cycle is

(a) did you put anything else in with it? If you're deliberately felting an item you put a pair of old jeans in too to provide a bit of pummeling.

or (b) if your machine has the kind of fill that heats up the water if there isn't hot water in the hot fill, then the garment can get a hot-cold temp shock and this can cause felting also.

If it's only part felted then you'll perhaps be able to work it back into shape. If it's gone hard and shrunk tons though then probably not.
    Val.
  • Please could anyone tell me how to clean up soft:o baby toys which contain battery operated lullabys. My grandson was given 2 beautiful toys which are now slightly grubby. A new grandson is on the way, the toys are still in very good condition it would be nice for the new baby to have use of them too.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    jojogrant wrote: »
    Please could anyone tell me how to clean up soft:o baby toys which contain battery operated lullabys. My grandson was given 2 beautiful toys which are now slightly grubby. A new grandson is on the way, the toys are still in very good condition it would be nice for the new baby to have use of them too.

you could try un-coloured soap, soap flakes or something like Woolite with warm water, froth it up & just use the froth and clean rag to clean fur.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    jojogrant wrote: »
    Please could anyone tell me how to clean up soft:o baby toys which contain battery operated lullabys. My grandson was given 2 beautiful toys which are now slightly grubby. A new grandson is on the way, the toys are still in very good condition it would be nice for the new baby to have use of them too.

I would also only gently sponge the surface of the toys to get rid of the worst makrs/stains and then rub with a towel to get any excess moisture out of them. I think they often have a small label attached that advises 'surface clean only'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure