Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

You're busy and town's even busier - all the usually available free on-street parking's gone. But after driving round for 15 minutes you spot a space, pull in, then notice a sign on the back of the car in front requesting, "please leave a six-foot gap between my car and yours so I can get the wheelchair in and out of the boot". If you stay there, there'd be a foot at most, but the alternative's an NCP at £5/hour.
Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    NO.

I would never block a wheelchair access. it wouldn't be fair to prevent some crippled guy wanting to get into his car.

Besides it's officially illegal to do so..

• YES.
    This is an easy one. All the other driver has to do is to exit the parking space into the roadway, where he will have the space necessary to get the wheelchair in and out of the boot.
  • No. I love moneysaving, but there are limits, and this is where I reach mine.

Edit to add: Besides, I'd probably end up with some sort of fine which would make the £5 NCP alternative positively welcoming!!
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    YES.
    This is an easy one. All the other driver has to do is to exit the parking space into the roadway, where he will have the space necessary to get the wheelchair in and out of the boot.

He or she may not be able to. :rolleyes:
    wheelchair-car-1.jpg this is just one of many possible situations.

Push a wheelchair through to the drivers seat from the rear of the vehicle.

Alot of wheelchair users can drive you know! :rolleyes:
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Depends how long I was going to be. If I had to dump the car to pay in a cheque, then YES. They can wait 5 minutes while I do that. If I'm going for an all-afternoon shopping spree (haha, when was the last time I did that?), then NO.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    No I wouldn't park in front of the vehicle as long as they were sensibly parked, there's bound to be another space shortly.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• YES.

I don't quite understand your post.

This is how It comes across to me. I hope I don't sound like a fool by not understanding your point, this is simply how I read it:

Are you saying that the disabled driver should get out of his chair, into the car, move the car into the road, back out of the car, put his wheelchair into the boot whilst his car is in the roadway blocking other traffic? All the while considering that he will most likely find entering and exiting the car no easy task, adding to that the fact he will have to leave his wheelchair on the pavement and then walk 6+feet to retrieve it to place in his boot.

In answer to this, I wouldn't park in that space if I knew I was going to be parked there for a long period of time, if I'm just running into the newsagents to get a newspaper or a drink and I know I will be minutes, then I would consider it over paying to use the carpark.
    =)
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 12:19AM
    NO! Anyone who says they will wants to try having a disability for a short while. Would you sit there and wait for someone to comeback so you could get in your car?
    And as for moving the car to get the wheelchair in. :mad:
    Also, the fact that it needs a six foot gap means it is someone who doesn't get in and out of their wheelchair, you don't need the sign if you put the wheelchair down.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No...

Parking in a disabled space is illegal, I think? Even if this is a loophole since it's not a designated disable space, no. I'll leave that to the 4x4 and Audi drivers.
  • This is one of my all time hates ~ people who park making it difficult or impossible for disabled! I'm able bodied, so not speaking from experience, but there's no way I'd park my car to purposely block anyone.
    :j I'm not supposed to be normal, I'm supposed to be me:j
    :dance: Quidco cash back since May 2010 ~ more than £83.13 :dance:
    Must remember to use it more, but every little helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills