The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Budget recipies for a beginner

I am not sure whether you can help, but I really need to start cooking properly and stop using jars and packets etc. But the thing is I can't really cook properly, I have never been one of those people that can just throws things together and I'm not very imaginative when cooking, although I love food and will eat/try anything!

My mum and sister (who I'm sure dispair with me) bought me some cookery books, but they aren't particularly simple and certainly not for people on a budget.

I really only cook for two, so only need recipies for this - the books I've got here are for servings of 4+ people and I can't always work out how to cut that down for two.

I really want to get this cracked as I am wasting money on prepared stuff.

Can anyone take pity on me and help!

Comments

• LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi Miffi

Do an Amazon search for "Alaistair Williams" (he's a food writer). You'll find his excellent books Student Grub and Student Veggie Grub. (Personally recommend the veggie one, as i am a veggie)
    Although marketed for students, they're ideal for anyone who hasn't really cooked before. Very simple, but tasty recipies and (of course) cheap!.

There's also a recipie collection in the forums, but can't remember exactly where, no doubt someone will post a link!

Good luck!

P.S - I usually only need to cook for one!. But basically halve the ingredients. i.e 2 potatoes becomes 1, 1 tin tomatoes = 1/2 tin etc.
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,256
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Miffi

Try The mega indexed thread

there are loads of recipies on there that are all pretty much low budget.

I made Tuna fishcakes last week, tin of shops own tuna chunks in brine, mashed potatoes, herbs, make into a fishcake shape, coat in flour and a bit of egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Cook in oven for about 20 mins hey presto!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • Miffi_2
    Miffi_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that other thread and Alaistair Williams' book and get cracking!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Look for any books on 'student' cooking/eating (LizD suggested one above, but there are others). The recipes are quick and easy, and intended for 1 or 2 people mostly. Another suggestion is 'The paupers Cookbook' by Jocasta Innes, one of my long time favourites. Delia Smith's recipes are good in that they always work (not all cookbook recipes always do, not your fault necessarily!) Also, Good Housekeeping magazine (plus free or cheap mags from somerfield, sainsburys etc - try these first, they have money off coupons too) often have simple tried and tested recipes.
    Good luck!
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    best piece of advice i can give is dont be afraid of making mistakes! we all have to start somewhere, and some of the best meals i have ever had have been "i wonder what x will taste like if i add y to it :think: " moments :D

have fun, and take it one step at a time :)
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    cook for 4 and either freeze the excess for your own home made frozen ready meals or eat the same the next day but add different veggies/pasta/rice/bread etc
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    hiya

i totally understand how you feel! as others have suggested student cook books are a great source of basic cooking instructions and have tasty, budget meals based on protions for one or two people. Try second hand book shops and charity shops to pick these up cheaply.

also, i have a really good cook book called the complete cook published by hamlyn. while i admit that i havn't got round to cooking many of the recipes, it contains a huge section on identifying, preparing and cooking all different types of meat (including things like how to carve), fish, and veg, an easy glossary for cooking terms, info on appliances and utensils and easy to follow instructions to make basics such as batters, breads etc. I have found it invaluable.

Also, as mentioned previously a freezer is invaluable. At the weekends I make a big chilli or spag bol - good easy starting recipes and divide into portions to freeze - making an instant ready meal. just take one out to defrost in the morning and hey presto.

remember - that every experiment is a step forward. Why not set yourself a goal such as trying to cook 2 meals from scratch per week, and work upwards. best of luck and ask any questions you have on teh forum - these people are gold mines of cooking tips - they have certainly improved my cooking no end!!!
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • www.astray.com/recipes and put in budget in the search. The bbc did a series call moneyspinners so they may have budget recipes on their website or google and putit budget recipes.
    One of my favourites at the moment is www.hillbillyhousewife.com look in the recipe section, the chocolate syrup and caramel corn are really nice, try the vanilla and choclate pudding and she does lots of things with mine. its american but there is a good thread - those crazy americans which can help with any conversions/different terms. I just use a UK cup instead of US, theres not a lot of difference.
    Hope that helps!
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Another vote for Delia. As I've just posted on another thread ... you do what she says and the recipe turns out exactly as she says. It really is no-nonense cooking for fabulous results.

If you've not done so, have a good mooch around here http://www.deliaonline.com/
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • I think they must be on her website but I bought mine at lakeland - the spoonatula - i think its called - a spoon that you can get the last out of the bowl with - dollops just the right amount of batter in a cake case as well!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure