PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

freezable puddings.

sorry i am full of questions today all

does anyone ever freeze and reheat rice pudding?
im guessing i would go mushy and nasty.

in short i am looking for hot, traditional and homeley puddings i can freeze to go in my old dads freezer in individual portions for him to reheat at a later date.

any ideas?

Comments

• Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How about fruit crumble or apple pie?

Personally I wouldn't freeze rice pudding due to being afraid of food poisoning with it being rice.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • brokenwings
    brokenwings Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    youre quite right re rice being risky for food poisoning zed

to be honest ive never frozen puddings at all - not sure if the pastry in pies or on crumbles goes soggy etc

running to my mates to borrow a freezer book tomorrow morning.

am wondering about suet puddings and sponge puddings too.
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What about some stewed fruit - then he could add some custard?
  • brokenwings
    fab idea amanda
    thank you!
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    If you're thinking about traditional hot puddings, any sort of sponge pudding (ie combination of stewed fruit or chocolate with some sort of sponge), roly poly, bread and butter pudding, lemon meringue pies (or any sort of meringue pies) and fruit pies or crumbles work best for freezing. I wouldn't have thought milk puddings would be terribly successful - even avoiding rice, all of my freezer cookbooks (all those 1970s ones I've gathered from charity shops with really garish pictures) are very sniffy about milk puddings and custards in the freezer, though they do get very excited about cheesecakes, pancakes and summer puddings.
  • My sister regularly makes large batches of various fruit crumbles (apple, plum, rhubarb etc) and freezes them, and they still taste lovely when de-frosted, heated and served with custard. I honestly can't tell the difference. :D
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    any fruit pies / crumbles
    i also freeze bread & butter pudding
    individual fruit cobblers
    jam / syrup suet pudding
    banana (or whatever )"loaf" nice just sliced & spread with butter or served with hot custard over :P i slice it then you can just take out howvwer many pieces you need from the freezer

same with muffins,nice cold or served as part of a hot dessert
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Pies (pastry) freeze fine, both cooked and uncooked, but they do need reheating in an oven, as the pastry goes mushy and/or rubbery in the microwave.
  • brokenwings
    thank you everyone

looks like its going to be a day in the kitchen for me then ...... errr.....again!!! : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure