Rubbish Question!

Bunny200
Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
edited 19 May 2009 at 7:13PM in Old style MoneySaving
I was wondering what everyone does with their kitchen scraps? I found out recently that although the council collect GARDEN waste we can't put kitchen scraps in it so now I'm in quandry as to what to do with it all. I don't have the room for a compost bin in the garden but I produce a lot of vegetable/fruit waste in the kitchen that I don't want to put in landfill. I would use the compost but can't really find the room for it in the garden. What do you do?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    We compost ours, but we can put kitchen scraps in the council bin, so long as there's no cooked food or meat. Small wormery or bokashi bin (http://www.bokashibucket.co.uk/)?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Bunny,

I put all raw fruit and veg scraps in the composter too. Our council recommend putting these in the brown council bin along with garden waste. Like Magentasue says as long as there is no cooked food in there, it usually isn't a problem.

Personally I can't see any difference between adding a few veg peelings and stalks to adding grass cuttings and leaves. :confused: Could you phone your local council to check exactly what they allow you to put in the bin?

Pink
  • Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Hi Bunny,

I put all raw fruit and veg scraps in the composter too. Our council recommend putting these in the brown council bin along with garden waste. Like Magentasue says as long as there is no cooked food in there, it usually isn't a problem.

Personally I can't see any difference between adding a few veg peelings and stalks to adding grass cuttings and leaves. :confused: Could you phone your local council to check exactly what they allow you to put in the bin?

Pink

Thats what prompted the question, I contacted the council for clarification over egg shells as I wasn't sure whether they would be ok or not and was told that we couldn't put any kitchen waste in there even uncooked waste as it would have to be treated differently. I'm with you I can't see whats different between grass cuttings and potato peeling but thats what I was told.
  • Our town has just gone over to a 'green' collection where by we have to put food waste into a brown bin (in compostable bags), plastic bottles (no lids) into a white sack, papers & magazines into a green sack and bottles and tins into a box. The rest of the rubbish is put into bin bags and into a wheelie bin. So far the collections have been a bit haywire and some are collected weekly and some are collected fortnightly!

but this doesn't help answer your question does it - I've just gone off on one, sorry! - but before we had these collections, I put what food waste (uncooked) into the compost bin, but if you've no room for one, do you have some allotments near you which you could approach for any vegetable/fruit skins etc? They may take them off you and be pleased to do so.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,070
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think you have to be pragmatic, just chuck it in the normal refuse bin along with the hoover bag dust, polystyrene, batteries, bottle caps etc

I do, and I can hear the howls of the green lobby now, but am I really expected to drive a 10 mile round trip to dispose of a watch battery? I think not
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bunny200 wrote: »
    I produce a lot of vegetable/fruit waste in the kitchen that I don't want to put in landfill.

Why not? Apart from the fuel used to get it there, which won't be much!
  • Marcie
    Marcie Posts: 11 Forumite
    I was going to get a composter, but our local council is starting up a weekly food waste collection later this year (which you can opt-in to).

They provide 2 bins, one for inside and one for outside, and will take all raw and cooked food!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I live in a flat and the only recycling we have is glass and tins.

Never worked out what to do with cooked/raw kitchen scraps. No room for a composter in our tiny garden and don't really fancy a wormery in the flat (plus not much room!).
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • ascot64
    ascot64 Posts: 146 Forumite
    I use a waste disposer. See this page to see how environmentally friendly they are.

http://www.insinkerator.co.uk/aboutFWD/environmental-benefits.aspx

We struggle to fill our green bin (normal household waste) for our fortnightly collections.
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    In our local council tips there is a section for compostable waste, so people can drop theirs off, and then if needed pick up free compost too.

May not be practical for you though.

Any neighbours have a compost heap you can donate to?

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills