double up on shampoo

Options
save an empty shampoo container and next time you buy a new one, dilute it half and half with water, youll never know the difference :P

Comments

• raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    To that end I notice that boots have a Basics range and the shampoo is 25p for 500ml. There is also conditioner for 32p and all in one for 32p. Very smart white bottles and labels. You could probably peel off the labels and be left with white bottles. No one would be any the wiser. ;D
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    good thinking :-*
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I've got gallons of nice shampoo and conditioner thanks to freebies and points ;) When it runs out, I plan to re-use one of the more attractive bottles and refill it with economy brand shampoo. Same with bubble bath etc.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    my g/f seems to think that she needs 2 goes at the shampoo on her hair then condioner...i say it does more damage than good (shes got shoulder length hair)
    i just find sum left over shampoo on the side of the shower and use that lol
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You only need to double wash your hair if it is really dirty. If it lathers up like mad the second time, then your hair is already clean & you are just wasting shampoo, not to mention the environmental impact.

I have just finished a bottle of asda's own brand tea tree shampoo & it was great, well worth the 74p it cost me!!
  • Petree
    Petree Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    The general advice seems to be...

If you live in the city
    Do a single wash every day, conditon every 3 days

In the country
    Do a double wash once a week, condition at the same time

In the city it's to remove the fumes not the oil since a bit goes every time, in the country it's removing oil thus needs two washes.

If you can get hold of em (make em?) try using shampoo bars instead of bottles of shampoo, means you aren't paying for water to be shipped around the UK.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Also, it's a good rule of thumb to reduce the amount of shampoo that we've become accustomed to using in our "throw away" society! A small squirt really is all that is needed, not the big globs that I see many people using at the gym showers! :o

Just remember, a little goes a loooooong way!

Petree - good advice .... bars are soooooooooooooooo economical!! (LUSH sell a good one)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my g/f seems to think that she needs 2 goes at the shampoo on her hair then condioner...i say it does more damage than good (shes got shoulder length hair)
    i just find sum left over shampoo on the side of the shower and use that lol

i always do 2 shampoos, then conditioner. but only wash my hair every 3 days as its quite long. shampoo is one thing i don't economise on - i buy tigi stuff from the hairdressers as my hair is coloured and it really does keep the colour in better. mind you its such good stuff i only get through 2 lots per year!
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wash my hair 3 times a week and I HATE IT

*sigh
  • amie
    amie Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    all shampoo is the same! i used to use trevor sorbie striaghtening shampo (£6 a bottle in boots) and loved it, however i recently got a free sample of head and shoulders and found it was exactly the same- well i cant tell the difference anyway! ;)
    Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure