PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help: Basic Indian Curry Sauce Recipe Wanted ONLY Using Ingredients I Have !

Options
Hi... it's getting nippy out there - and I fancy a curry.

Now, I've bought some random items along the way, so have made a list of what I have and am looking for a basic curry sauce. I usually choose a biryani curry when I buy a takeaway, so just looking for the basic sauce. I'll add veggies to that and I have rice.

So, what do I have:

Ground Cinnamon (powder)
Hot Chilli (powder)
Dried Coriander Leaf
Garam Masala (powder)
Whole Bay Leaves
Dried Chillies
Turmeric (powder)
Real Garlic
Cinnamon Sticks

I also have tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and onions.

Edit: I also have ginger (fresh), 2 chillies (fresh)

Anybody got the easiest/quickest curry sauce I can make out of JUST that lot that tastes like an indian takeaway would? There's no way I am turning out now just for 1-2 new things.

Thanks!

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nope, I think all mine have ginger in
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, I forgot.

I have: ginger (fresh) and hot chillies (fresh)

Forgot those!
  • currantbun
    Options
    I would fry a chopped onionand some garlic, add about a teaspoon each of garam masala, coriander leaf and a bit of chilli powder, fry that gently for a few mins to bring out the flavour of the spices. add tinned toms, veggies and rice (uncooked) and enough wter to let the rice cook. Bring up to boiling and then turn down and simmer until rice is done. Don't overdo the water or it will be too soggy and liquid. Better to add a little bit bit and keep checking it, you can always add more if needed. You can adjust the quantity of spices if you like it hotter.
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    currantbun wrote: »
    I would fry a chopped onion and some garlic, add about a teaspoon each of garam masala, coriander leaf and a bit of chilli powder, fry that gently for a few mins to bring out the flavour of the spices. add tinned toms, veggies and rice (uncooked) and enough wter to let the rice cook. Bring up to boiling and then turn down and simmer until rice is done. Don't overdo the water or it will be too soggy and liquid. Better to add a little bit bit and keep checking it, you can always add more if needed. You can adjust the quantity of spices if you like it hotter.
    Thanks. That sounds nice - and I'll try it, but right now I want a wet one, a sauce.

This sounds more like a pure rice dish.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi PasturesNew,

What about a scaled down version of Curry Queen's curry sauce?

Pink
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Hi PasturesNew,

What about a scaled down version of Curry Queen's curry sauce?

Pink
    I did start by looking at that one. Then I tried to scale it down from 1.5 litres to half a litre ... and read the recipe ... and it all got quite time-consuming/mess making. What put me off doing that one was:

- I don't have a blender, so imagined it'd take a lot more effort to achieve the paste
    - I have a hand blender, but then started to wonder if it was worth using it/making the mess/washing that up for a small quantity.

It seemed quite processor/blender reliant.

Although I could ignore those stages, it's the fact it's pointed out that the blending is important that scared me off.

I don't want to end up with a kitchen full of washing up/clearing up to do.

If I was going to do that, then it would be easier for me to spend £3.50 and pop out for a real indian biryani takeaway, with no mess and enough for tomorrow too.
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I only use a hand blender and I think you could use one pan......but yes curry sauces can make a mess and take a bit of work so if your takeaway is that cheap it might be worth it (that dish would be about £7 here I think)
  • afterglow_2
    Options
    well using a hand blender,
    fist roughly chop an onion, few cloves of garlic and thumb of peeled ginger, and some chillies, then blitz up with a glug of oil, then mx some dry spices, cloves, garam masala, coriander, etc and fry off with some sliced onion. then add vegetables or meat, the paste, and tinned toms and equal amount of water and cook down for 20-30 mins !!
    £5000 debt cleared thanks to MSE advice :money:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    It's 8pm... and nippier. Still hibernating under my blanket... and not tempted out to cook yet. Might make it tomorrow instead. Just not eat tonight. It's horrible cooking when it's cold. Needs extra motivation!

I'm thinking that #4 and #10 might go well together.

#10 looks like I could do that... if I can get out from under this blanket, that is sooo snuggly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure