Hamptons/Red debt collection/Lowells

Options
Hi. After a bit of time browsing, and reading some great posts, I have decided to post my first thread.

I am finally waking up to my debt, and am currently in the process of finding out the full details of what I owe, where I owe it and paying off as much as I can possibly do. It's becoming more manageable, and I am able to deal with the calls and letters thanks mainly to the people on here and their advice!

One thing has got me bemused. However, reading through this forum shows that I am not alone in this matter though! I recently received a letter from Hamptons Legal at my old address (which I moved out of over three years ago), requesting money for an account I had with '3G mobile' - amounting to £219.35. This letter was from late August, I picked it up in late September. I replied on the 2nd of this month with a template letter I picked up on here (thanks):

To: Hamptons Legal
Lowell Financial Ltd
Enterprise House
1 Apex View
Leeds
LS11 9BH 02/10/08

Dear Sir/Madam

RE: 924xxxxx

Hamptons Legal - a 'trading style' of yourselves - have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Lowell Portfolio I Limited. 

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment. I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question. 

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions. I may wish to exercise my subject access rights following your response, please inform me of how this can be done. I am sending this letter by Recorded Delivery to your Head Office address, as above, so I will be able to prove you have received it.

Finally, I only received your letter dated 15/09/08 today as I moved from my previous address over three years ago. Please send future correspondance to: xxxx

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely 

xxxxx

I received a letter - this time from red debt collections services (I understand they are one and the same as Hamptons and Lowells!) - dated 8th October, saying that they think I am the person and they are writing to the original creditor to request copies of statements which they will forward to me. They also confirmed that collection activity will stop.

Can someone please advise how long I should allow/wait for them before I contact them again? Or should I not contact them again? I am keen to get them off my case, and for them to remove the note on my credit file which they added last month! I also heard about paying £1 for my details they hold? Is this something I should have done? If anyone can advise me on the best route for me, I would really appreciate it as I am a bit lost.

Thanks in advance :)
Proud to be dealing with my debts. Started: Nov 08
PPI reclaims: 7 currently (none settled yet)
MEAF: 1 (no responses)
Bank Charges reclaims: 2, 1 pending (no responses)
CC Charges reclaims: 1, 1 pending (no responses)

Comments

• tdgooner
    Options
    Can anyone help please?
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • tdgooner
    tdgooner Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    RAS wrote: »

Thanks RAS. Just a quick question following on from that article...

The letter I sent (details in my first post) - is that classed as a SAR? Or is that something I have to send the £10 PO for? If it is classed as one, they have 40 days to send me the info, right? If not, should I send them a letter with the £10 PO?

Sorry if this is blindingly obvious, but I just wanted to make sure 100% where I stand.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I think the first thing you need to do is have a go at 3 mobile. A lot of these red collections are unfounded.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • tdgooner
    tdgooner Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Hi
    I think the first thing you need to do is have a go at 3 mobile. A lot of these red collections are unfounded.
    OK. I'll give that a go first then. Thanks for your advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure