PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cranks Vegetarian Cookery Books

Options
Do you have any of these books? If so, which do you recommend?
Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi chelltune,

There are some postive reports about Cranks vegetarian cookbooks on these threads:

What's the best cookery book you have?

receipe book recommendations please

What's the best cookery book you have?

Favourite recipe books

Pink
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i have a couple of cranks ones (I like the fast food one personally) but would recommend Rose Elliot above the other veggie cookbooks any day. Her stuff is a bit less exotic and feels very accessible....
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    In 1969 I used to go for lunch to use my luncheon vouchers (remember those?) to Cranks in St. Pauls Churchyard.

I loved their wonderful hand thrown pottery it made the food so much more 'authentic' IYSWIM!!!

I loved the vegetable casserole, I tried to reproduce it but never could.

I loved Cranks. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have cranks and I have Rose Elliot. The Rose Elliot books are way better, down to earth and the food always turns out well
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    In 1969 I used to go for lunch to use my luncheon vouchers (remember those?) to Cranks in St. Pauls Churchyard.

I went there, with DH (when he was DBF ;) ) when I was a student in the early 80s :T I have The Cranks Recipe Book (1985) and Entertaining With Cranks (1987) and continue to use both of them.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    Another vote for Rose Elliot here.Allison Holst also does a brilliant book "Meals without Meat" it's got loads of good adaptable recipes in it.I also think the Linda McCartney books are good for basic vegetarian stuff especially if you want to use soya proteins and tofu.
    Cranks do some good recipes but can be a bit too fussy for some people.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for Rose Elliot here.Allison Holst also does a brilliant book "Meals without Meat" it's got loads of good adaptable recipes in it.I also think the Linda McCartney books are good for basic vegetarian stuff especially if you want to use soya proteins and tofu.
    Cranks do some good recipes but can be a bit too fussy for some people.

The Linda Mc book would be no good for me then, I don't use soya or protein.

I've got the Rose Elliot bean book but have hardy used it.

I was on the Cranks website last night, I printed off the recipe for vegetable crumble which sounds nice. From what you've all posted I presume the recipes aren't all this simple for midweek type meals.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you had a look at the Moosewood books? They're quite well known American vegetarian books (there's a good few recipes on the website) and I like them ... I think there's about eleven in total. I've got a couple that I've picked up on ebay, they're not *that* cheap (£9/£10 ish, but some do come up much cheaper) but they're nice to read. The earlier ones (The Moosewood Cookbook and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest) were written way back in the 70s (I think) so although there's some tofu there aren't really any recipes for the more modern meat alternatives, so they might be useful books for you. They have nice bread and cake recipes too.
  • dawkins
    dawkins Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh yes - I'd definitely have to go with the Moosewood recommendation too! I cook from two of their books every week: Moosewood Daily Specials (which is soups and salads) and their Low Fat Favourites. Both give you great ideas for putting menus together, plus nutritional breakdowns.

For Rose Elliot, I'd say Vegetarian Express is good but basic, Fast Fresh and Fabulous (now renamed as Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook) got the most use here, and Vegetarian Supercook has some great unusual meals. Before I got my Moosewood books I used Rose Elliot's the most, and I still do use them. I don't use my Cranks books that much at all - if you want Mediterranean style food they are good, and the recipes are very tasty, but I found the ingredients a bit expensive for every day.

If you want to go a step further, I'd recommend Bryanna Clark-Grogan for good vegan cooking. Scroll down her blog page for a recipelist on the right-hand side. She does use a lot of homemade meat substitutes, but there are plenty of other tasty recipes too. http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I received my first ever moosewood book today and it is lovely. Such a nice attractive book and the recipes look wonderful Its raining buckets here and I`ve been browsing on the net and have ordered more by the same author. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. It will give me a lift just to read them :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure