PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Peas - Help!

Options
Hi, I don't post very often, more of a lurker but now I need your help!

My lovely childminder has given me a big bag of peas from her allotment and I don't know what to do with them! Do I need to shell them? I have started shelling some but the peas seem very small so could I get away with just boiling them in the pod?

And if I do shell them, can I put them straight in the freezer or do I need to blanch them or something?

Sorry I am being thick here, any help appreciated!! Thanks!

Comments

• JenniO
    JenniO Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    you could steam them in the pod like sugar snap peas or take the little peas out and boil them for a few minutes or even eat the peas raw!

Yes I would blanch the peas out of the pod for 1 minute before freezing.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I picked loads of peas from my allotment and they taste far better than any peas i've ever tasted.

Because i had so many of them i shelled them and blanched them for 1 minute before freezing them.

If they are very small it could be they were picked before they are ready. I fry mangetout in a little olive oli or butter and they are also lovely. I can't see why not to frying the peas.
  • gotnodosh
    gotnodosh Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both. I think I will keep the small ones in the pods and blanch them and put them in the freezer. The bigger ones I will have with dinner tomorrow!

My childminder is going away for a week so I think thats why she picked them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure