I want to buy a new kitchen

Options
got people coming from both Moben and MFI to measure and give me an idea of cost. It's a big kitchen and I want lots of cubby holes etc...

any ideas, tips, pitfalls to avoid?

it's currently 20 years old and desperately needs replacing so doors only is not an option. I also need a new cooker but dishwasher and washing machine are OK.

Comments

• Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask if the kitchen fitters are employed by the Moben/MFI or if they are self-employed. We had problems with both the kitchen company and the kitchen fitter when we got our new kitchen. The company was not very helpful regarding the kitchen fitter, as, although they 'contracted' him, we actually paid him direct.
  • consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've just decided on a new kitchen. It's a Schreiber one from MFI, but we've decided to let a local joiner fit it as it'll be cheaper and we feel that we'll have a bit more control.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • mpg
    mpg Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Before you buy from MFI have a look for howdens joinery. They used to own MFI and are a lot cheaper. we got quoted £6500 from mfi but it cost us £3000 from howdens
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    Ditto howdens,MFI charge around £175 per appliance for fitting on top of unit fitting prices. We got our units (rigid built as opposed to flat pack)for £1700 MFI quoted £3000

Also buy your appliances online not from local shops we saved hundreds doing that
  • spjtjfe
    spjtjfe Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I share your pain......

we've been looking at kitchens for the last two months. My conclusions so far:

- Get some quotes for Crown kitchen units (stocked by loads of people). This make of furniture uses the same 'mechanics' (hinges, soft close thingy's etc) regardless of the price level you buy at (so you can go for cheaper doors but get the best quality). They were reccommended to us by two different tradesmen we know personally.

- Source the appliances yourself. The people I've spoken to admit that they supply the appliances that are convenient to them and that people sourcing their own will almost always save money (even though it is extra leg work).

- people have already said it, but get seperate quotes for supply and installation of the kitchen furniture.

- don't be fooled by the 50% + 10% off sales. What this actually means is 10% off. Apparently a supplier only has to stock something at 'full price' for three days in a year. This means that the 50% is rubbish as no-one has ever bought at 100%...

- find a blueprint that you like (all suppliers will do one for free) and then take it round to other suppliers and ask for quotes - it saves loads of time
  • Mr_Ripp_Edoff
    Options
    Hi

I don’t know where you are but just in case you were to come across Lincoln McLean Kitchens then beware.

Lincoln McLean is a sole trader Kitchen installer/designer and there are a long list of people who have been ripped off by him.

Please see the below blog where I have copied the comments about Mr Lincoln McLean from another web site.

http://lincolnmclean-kitchens.blogspot.com/

Mr Lincoln McLean it appears managed to persuade (Shall we say) the people who had put the website up, to take it down. This was disappointing as several people who were just about to hand over money didn't (after seeing the comments). Others were not so lucky and lost 1,000s.

I set up the blog in the hope that it may save a few people a lot of heartache and possibly 1,000s in ££. And so that the original comments wouldn’t be lost.

If this post helps just one person then it’ll be successful.

Cheers
    Ripp E
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family