Money Moral Dilemma: Should Angie share her MEAF money with Den?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Angie share her MEAF money with Den?

Den and Angie were married for 17 years, until Den skipped off with their treasured poodle Roly. As they moved from pub to pub, they’ve had a lot of mortgages and Angie being a MoneySaver has been doing her MEAF Reclaiming. All in all she’s got £350 back… yet these were joint properties with Den and they ran the businesses together… should she give him half.
Click reply to have your say
Previous MMDs:
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Hell no!!! If he's run off with the poodle then he's foregone his right to any of that money IMO. Besides, Angie sounds like she's done all the work to get the money back in the first place. If I were Angie, I'd wave it in his face and then go and treat myself to some clothes, chocolate and a new 'do (or maybe go and get another poodle?) :)
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!! :idea:

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none! :beer:
  • Legally he's probably equally entitled to the money, but legally she's equally entitled to the poodle!

I agree with previous poster - keep the money and buy herself a new poodle (less trouble than a husband ... only joking!)
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    When a household breaks up it is amazing the bad feeling that can focus on the trivial.
    I'm thinking of a death where the "on hand" niece took control of the dead aunt's tortoise and the other niece wanted it!

The joy of money is that a price can be put on most things.

Half that money belongs to the husband, now is the time to negotiate the "value" of the poodle. Get a receipt.

Harry

I recon he ran off with the barmaid; would a poodle fancier have got married in the first place?
    Is it just me or is there a tendency for women to get more fixated about "things" in these circumstances: jewellery, ornaments, paintings, even plants in the garden?

"Angie sounds like she's done all the work to get the money back in the first place."
    What work would that be? Ive seen it demonstrated on a Wednesday evening TV programme; seems it takes about 10 minutes
  • Marisan
    Marisan Posts: 96
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    No,Angie should keep the money.She did all the work to get it back,and Den sounds like a bit of a waste of space.

He'd probably only squander the money on women and booze anyway. The poodle will be back when the prime meaty chunks get replaced by leftover kebab.
    .Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • RabbitMad
    RabbitMad Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Marisan wrote: »
    He'd probably only squander the money on women and booze anyway.

I wouldn't call that squandering!:beer:
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 696
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sadly I think she should give him half. Hopefully she will get s sense of satisfaction at taking the moral high ground.
  • Nah, keep the money in a savings acct until he twigs to the ruse and asks for half of it. If he never asks, win-win.
    Striving down south to stay northern and tight! :rotfl:
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    :D She should keep it. Sod Den he got the dog!!!!
  • I absolutely agree with the craftybear! Win win. There's enough disadvantages to women upon divorce, lets even things up abit but still cover your back! Sorry folks, feeling cynical today!
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    She did the work, she should keep the money!
    :):):)
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure