PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shocked by shocks!

Options
Sheel got me thinking about this....

I'm one of those people that gets a nasty, (even painful!) shock when I touch certain things..the worst being:-

kitchen sink
car door handles
escalator grab rails
light swirches (even plastic)
M & S doors
doors to shopping centres

Some people don't seem affected at all and I was wondering why that is and if there is a way to avoid this happening...I'm sure I've heard of something.....
♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Carry a sheet of BOUNCE with you (and repel insects too)  ;D

But seriously, Aren't rubber soles on your shoes supposed to stop shocks?  Something to do with earthing the electricity - like, in the car is the safest place to be if you're struck by lightning :-/.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Allexie,
    i am exactly the same, i have now got into the habit of shutting the car door with my elbow, or my coat as i can't touch them without getting a massive shock!

What causes it?  Perhaps it's just our electric personalities .......    ;D

(Edited as i can't spell)

By the way i read your post from ages ago re putting your own picture on here.................what do you think?  Thanks  ;)    

;D  ;D  ;D  (very chuffed, i'm also up to 100 posts)
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Cullumpster

Glad I'm not the only one...I have to shut car doors either with me bag or me bum...depending....  ::)

Perhaps we could sew a few sheets of Bounce together to make a snazzy outfit!

P.S. Awww...sweet little mouse...well done you  ;D

See you got it from Animation Factory....did you have to join and [glow=red,2,300]PAY[/glow]  (heaven forbid! ....off to wash my mouth out with soap)

• Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Pay....Me?? Never !!!

well i hope not anyway, i just took the url and put it in my profile, knowing my luck i'll receive an invoice in a couple of days Hehe :o
  • Allexie
    Options
    Pay....Me?? Never !!!

Tee Hee...nice one....

smiley_abuv.gif

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This gives you tips on how to avoid shocks ,for instance hold the metal part of the car door when getting out,until you are completely out ,stops the build up from the carseat material ;D

http://www.static-sol.com/articles/static_shocks.htm
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    only ever had this problem when i was pregnant, and breastfeeding. hasn't bothered me for a while. but lift buttons were always the worst,drove me mad.
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter and i get them off pushchair handles, metal rails microwaves ( when you put your hand in after it stopsa not all the time but quite often. Mothercare supply a little plastic bit to put on the bottom of the pushchair and it trails along the ground, doesn't always work though.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another sufferer here. I seem to have periods when I don't shock at all and then I'm sparking off everything. Even the kidz complain I keep Zapping them. Thank goodness I've got no hair or I would look like Don King ;D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Allexie
    Options
    Mothercare supply a little plastic bit to put on the bottom of the pushchair and it trails along the ground

Wonder if it works on people too ??? ??? ???

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport