PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hair oldstyle/newstyle

Options
I didn't know where to post this but thought it would get more replies from Old style, but just to make it Old style I am saying do you think straighteneres are a new style version of the very old fashioned curling irons or something like that. I know there was some device they used which sometimes 'burned ' the hair:eek:
Quality Save have Wahl ceramic straighteners (specified that it was for fine hair) for £3.99. They were on display with the hairstyling products and shampoo's etc.

I had my hair strightened for the first time this week and was sooooooo impressed with the difference, I was initially not sure but now relise I loved it.

Alas I have now washed it and it looks a totally different style. I found your post interesting because

a. I have fine hair and

b. I have talked to a few people about the price of straightners and they go up to £100 they have also said don't buy the cheap ones. I would be interested to hear experiences and advice on which ones to get as they are definitely on my 'Gotta have but can't afford' list.:(
Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess you could say straightnersa re the new rollers:D !!

In my expereince only use ceramic straightners, the metal ones may damage yoru hair, will almost certainly cause breakage & are much slower to heat up/use. The ceramic ones were really expensive about 2 years ago when they first came out for general use instead of just being seen in posh hairdressers but now they have fallen in price & you can pick up good ones for less than £20 in Boots, so I personally would say a £3.99 deal doens't necessarily mean they will be poor quality although they obviously won't be Nicky Clark! If you are planning on using them a lot (more than once a week say), then I would go for a better quality more expensive pair, but for occasional use or to see if you can got on with using this kind of styling aid alot I think the cheap ones would be fine.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Lillibet around £20 sounds Ok, I'm going to try my daughter's this evening they were bought in a hairdressers warehouse and cost about £90, I won't be paying that though:D
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of people seemed to like Sainsburys own make which is called Red I think and are around the £20 mark.

But have a search for GHD straighteners and the devotees will tell you that anything else is no good :D

There is an offer in Shop Don't Drop for £20 off GHD if you take in any make of straightners or curling tongs to exchange.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But if you really want to be Old Style you should get some brown paper and an iron and iron your hair straight :rotfl:
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is an offer in Shop Don't Drop for £20 off GHD if you take in any make of straightners or curling tongs to exchange.

So you could buy the £3.99 ones & use them as £20 p/x for ghd?

I very rarely use my straighteners anymore; because a) it's too much hassle, b) it's not good for your hair to use them constantly c) *everybody* seems to straighten their hair & I don't like to follow the crowd too much. I have learnt to love my curls!

I'd buy a pair from somewhere with a good selection & a customer friendly returns policy so you can have the option of trying them first to see how good they are - maybe Argos?
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    But if you really want to be Old Style you should get some brown paper and an iron and iron your hair straight :rotfl:

I have naturally curly hair and I used to iron mine, I wanted it long and straight like Marrianne Faithful ??? All it ever did was grow more bushy so when big hair was fashionable I was there, mine was the biggest.
    Glad to say the ironing didn't do any long term harm, my hair's still curly.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have wavy rather than curly hair. I bought a Nicky Clarke Perfect Finish Multi Styler. It is instant heat up, variable heat settings, power-on indicator (great for when DD goes to grab them to ask what they are when they're plugged in - many a time I have shouted "Not when the light is on!"). The attachments are 12mm slim tong, 38mm jumbo tong, jumbo brush, standard straightener and slim straightener. It only cost me £24.99 in August 2003 but since I bought stuff along with it I put them through seperately to use the money off voucher ;) Still spent over £90 in Boots that day though :o

They've hardly been used as we rarely go out. I'm planning on using them with DD over the summer holidays when she plays dress up on wet days. If she doesn't like them I will be ebaying them come September and just buying a set of straighteners as my hair just will not hold a curl unless I use perming rollers - then I look like I have an afro which on a pale white girl is not good :eek:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, so you were more of a Dusty than a Marieanne :rotfl:

I too, well remember all that back combing!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies I have got my daughter's expensive ones to try tonight:D The only other thing is that she was telling me there are two types dry and wet to dry or something so still more decisions to make. I am going to wait till I go back to the hairdreser and find out which ones she used that made my fine, dry, flyaway hair look so good:D
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport