PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sewing ideas for 14 yr daughter?

Options
Hi all
I am looking for little sewing projects for your daughter, who's keen to learn how to use the sewing machine. Ideally stuff that can be made from scraps of fabric or cut up garments from charity shop.

We've been looking for free patterns online for toys of cats or dogs ( rather than cat or dog toys - the pets have enough toys already !).

any ideas much appreciated !
-
blue-kat

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Here's a website featuring Teen Projects
    If you feel those are maybe too challenging, do look at the left hand menu bar because there are all sort of helpful topics/projects and how-to's to get her started :)

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, if it was me attempting to use a sewing machine:rolleyes: (not advisable) I'd go for something simple like making a square cushion. It could have press stud fastenings to avoid fitting a fiddly zip, or better still a strip of velcro for the fastening end. Fill the cushion with old tights.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea to me Nile as the long suffering mother of a 14 year old. You could look for some funky bits of material to match in with her bedroom and they could make cushions for the bed or even a big floor cushion.

:D
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for great ideas !
    she's done pet cushions but not ready to be let loose on yards of expensive fabric just yet ;-).
    -
    blue-kat
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    blue-kat wrote:
    thanks for great ideas !
    she's done pet cushions but not ready to be let loose on yards of expensive fabric just yet ;-).
    -
    blue-kat

Take your point there but how about looking for clothes in charity shops with material that could be utilised? My daughter had a sparkly, silver dress from her "younger" days and we took it to bits just to use the material.
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    fabric recycling for funky cushions is great idea, plus good practise at straight lines ;-)
    also hope to finally use up fabric bought for projects that I never completed !
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    errr, I better point out that we took the dress to pieces but then did nothing with it :o
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    THIS appears to be a very teen friendly site, where people showcase their current/completed projects. takes a bit of geting used to as the layout of their forum is not particularly stylish, but there are some very inspirational ideas on there
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    She could make an apron for when she does the washing up :) An old dress would do for the fabric.
    Old duvet covers are good if you want big fabric.
    One of those door hangers with pockets to put hair care stuff etc in ,is simple.
    My daughter has made book covers from fabric before.She loves diaries and buys cheap hardback excercise books in poundland,then makes her own covers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure