'Super Scrabble! Wow!' Blog Discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's 'Super Scrabble! Wow!' blog. Please read the blog first, as the discussion follows it.
Read Martin's 'Super Scrabble! Wow!' Blog

Comments

• tunesurfer
    tunesurfer Posts: 212
    First Post
    Forumite
    Didnt even know there was such a game but it sounds like games could go on for quite a while with double the amount of tiles and a larger board to fill.

Wikipedia seems to think that scores of 800 or more are possible for 2 players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Scrabble
    Aint got a signature - as I cant think of anything world wisely to say.
  • I've never played Super Scrabble, but I'm thinking 800 probably sounds like quite a modest score for a 2-player game. It depends a lot on the style of play, of course. As with regular scrabble, some players will ruthlessly block off opportunities they can't immediately use, while others will try to create chances.
    I'd make sure my scoresheet columns had room for 4 digits just in case!
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Slightly OT (Will start a new thread if preferred) but come on Martin...how much did you pay for it and where?! :money: DH and I really want to buy it but the cheapest we have found it is £38.00ish plus P&P online....We need it to be cheaper than this...addicted to penny pinching ways i'm afraid :T

I can't help with a target score I'm afraid, having not bought it yet...but i'm guessing 4 digits too.:D
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • gamma
    gamma Posts: 763 Forumite
    To all our fellow scrabble players, enjoy

http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/11/112706.html
  • JonPhred
    JonPhred Posts: 30 Forumite
    ...It depends a lot on the style of play, of course. As with regular scrabble, some players will ruthlessly block off opportunities they can't immediately use, while others will try to create chances. ...

Exactly! Scrabble is essentially a war game in which you deploy your resources (letter tiles) according to defined rules (valid formations, etc.) on a battleground which has sites you wish to capture (or prevent the opponent capturing) and territory over which you attempt to exercise tactical control so as to capture sites.

There's a hefty element of luck in the tiles you get but a superior strategist/tactician will usually tend to win over a number of matches. The level of vocabulary used in "social Scrabble" means that "word power" is rarely going to make a significant difference (people of limited vocabulary tend not to want to play Scrabble - perhaps because they perceive it to be a word game) although combatants at competition-level acquire a specialized vocabulary for the purpose.

I was once involved in a four-player game where one player had no idea of the strategy of the game (so simply formed words from his tiles) and the following player was inevitably the runaway winner with a massive score solely because of that.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    I was once involved in a four-player game where one player had no idea of the strategy of the game (so simply formed words from his tiles) and the following player was inevitably the runaway winner with a massive score solely because of that.

I agree - the MSG and I are very competitive over our Scrabble - we once allowed a third party to join a game while we were sitting waiting. The third party was a novie and the MSG was going next - it was a nightmare for me - as she left her all the triple words unblocked with easy scores (i still won though ;) )
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    just got addicted to scrabble blitz, dh is very amused
  • philipsw
    philipsw Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My Mrs and I are also Scrabble addicts and have played a number of games of SS.

Although there are more premium score spots meaning higher scores, we find that this shifts the focus from long words (7s for bonus points) to lots of short words with strategic letters on premium scores, and so our scores are not as correspondingly high as you would expect.

So despite similar Scrabble averages to you, scores around 650-750 seem to be about our range in SS.
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i've got addicted to scrabble blitz since martin's post too. i'm hoping it will help my game of standard scrabble!

i used to beat my fiancé at scrabble so he went off and learned hundreds of words systematically - now i never win (need to start learning words...)

not for purists at all but for a bit of fun simpsons scrabble is something different. also, we occasionally play with a board and a full set of letters each to see who can make the best words from the same letters.

now i know i should go to sleep but just one more game of scrabble blitz...
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • Grandmasu
    Grandmasu Posts: 252 Forumite
    I love scrabble, but found the game Upwords in a car boot sale. This is like three dimensional scrabble and once you get used to it is totally addictive. Has any one else out there tried it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure