PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steak and...

I had planned steak for friday, knowing that there were two in the freezer, enough to share out among us. Then today when I got them out to defrost I found another one:):):)
So what's it to be? I have some salad in the fridge in the form of cucumber, coriander, lettuce, capers. I was thinking of garlicky fried potatoes but i dunno whether I fancy chip type things. Its the part of the lunar (and other) cycle where i CRAVE carbohydrates so we have to have something starchy.
What would you have with the steak?The carb things i have got in the cupboard are couscous, rice, pasta bows and half a sack of spuds that really have seen better days!
I have also got a cauliflower but that was a mistake as im the only one who will eat it, otherwise i'd have done cauliflower cheese.
BTW my lads and me like our steak bloody, easier for them to eat too as its softer that way.
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.

Comments

• frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Stick them on the barbie Sarah, weather is going to be scorchio tomorrow. I would do some roasted (baby new) potatoes, just bung in the oven with some EV Olive Oil, Sea Salt and a few garlic cloves, and a huge salad!!!
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • tigs78
    tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
    Frizz_head

I am liking the sound of the roasted new potatoes!

In my former life I was the ready meal queen so not really sure how to cook even the simplest of things...

What temperature should the potatoes be cooked at and for roughly how long? Also would they need par boiling before they go in?

Thanks in advance
  • Nasnowt
    Nasnowt Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    frizz_head wrote:
    Stick them on the barbie Sarah, weather is going to be scorchio tomorrow. I would do some roasted (baby new) potatoes, just bung in the oven with some EV Olive Oil, Sea Salt and a few garlic cloves, and a huge salad!!!

Oh I LOVE these! so much more flavour than the bigger ones. A la Delia?
    :wave: In my new basket: A slightly whiffy blanket; Racy’s 2nd favorite jumper; remains of a slipper; 2 sticks (1 chewed); bouncy ball collection (4); Racy’s iPod :shhh: and a large sock (found under Racy's bed) :confused:

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    being a tight git i didnt want to buy any more spuds, dya think the shrivelled sprouting ones i have will do ok? i spose i could make potato kebabs...
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Last night we had baguettes filled with lettuce, onions and steak (cut into small slivers) in a pepper sauce (juice from steak, black pepper, mixed herbs, garlic, wine and cream with a little cornflour to thicken the sauce)

Probably not a lot of use to you Sarah as your children are younger than mine, but it was delicious and may be of interest to someone.

Pink
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Garlic mashed potatoes, with lots of butter. That would use up those potatoes.

Cuecumber & onion & corriander salsa with mint if you have any. (mint sauce is good)

finshed off with a nice rare steak.
    I'm really hungry now, off to see what I have in the freezer.;)
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    being a tight git i didnt want to buy any more spuds, dya think the shrivelled sprouting ones i have will do ok? i spose i could make potato kebabs...

Depends how shrivelled they are.......but if they are only sprouting a bit I just scrub the sprouts off when I'm washing them. After cooking for extra flavour pour over a little garlic butter and serve.

Pink
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    onions and steak (cut into small slivers) in a pepper sauce (juice from steak, black pepper, mixed herbs, garlic, wine and cream with a little cornflour to thicken the sauce)

Pink

Just thinking about this....bearing in mind that your children are younger, this works just as well with rice.........I think I remember somewhere you said that they liked rice ??

In my opinion using steak in this way makes it go a lot further. Just be careful not to over-cook the meat as it will become too tough for little ones.

Pink
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    this is great, i have loads of mint in the front garden, and the kids will eat spuds whatever shape they are in LOL
    bottle of red wine and it's sorted;)
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Onion rings. Can't have a rare steak without onion rings IMHO:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure