latest Aldi Gericom laptop special 12 May £999

Options
Aldi will be selling next week their latest laptop offering packed full of latest technology at a competitive price as we have come to expect from them.

http://uk.aldi.com/

Here is the spec:

Intel® CentrinoTM Mobile Technology Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 Processor speed 1.73GHz

* 533MHz FrontSideBus
* 2MB L2 cache
* 90nm
* Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG
* Intel® Chipset 915PM

nVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6600 with 128MB DDR3 PCI-Express

nVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6600 is the superior notebook GPU with hardware acceleration for Microsoft DirectX 9.0. Shader Model 3.0, powering higher performance and extraordinary visual effects on today's hottest games.

15.4" WXGA Display 16:10 Widescreen

Resolution up to 1280 x 800 pixels

Multi Format DVD Burner 8xDVD±R/RW Double Layer^

For watching and burning DVDs/CDs. Write speed: 8xDVD+R/8xDVD-R/ 4xDVD+RW/4xDVD-RW/5xDVD-RAM/2, 4xDVD+R DL/24xCD-R/10xCD-RW, Read speed: 8xDVD/24xCD.

1024 MB DDR 2 RAM 533MHz

Fastest laptop memory currently available on the market. Up to 30% faster than DDR 1-400, 2 sockets.

Fast 100GB Hard Disk Drive

With 5,400rpm. Made by Seagate.

Digital TV Tuner***

Discover the new digital television of the future with first class image and sound quality. Future proof.

Analogue Stereo TV

Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card. Watch and record TV on your laptop! With Power Cinema and the built-in analogue/digital stereo TV and FM tuner, you can watch and record TV programs right on your laptop! The included IR remote control works with the TV, DVD, CD, radio and digital photo functions of the Power Cinema software.

Intel®PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG

The notebook can be linked to a wireless LAN network or in an ad hoc mode, with another wireless LAN compatible notebook. Integrated wireless LAN enables this notebook to be linked to a wireless network i.e. hotspots.

5 in 1 Card Reader

Supports Memory Stick, Smart Media Card, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital and XD Card.

Soundsystem

High definition audio system, SB-Pro-compatible +AC 97 CODEC, 2 internal speakers, internal microphone.

Bluetooth Mini USB Adaptor Class 1

Up to 100m indoor and outdoor.

High Speed Interfaces

4 x USB 2.0, 1 x Firewire IEEE1394.

Audio & Video Interfaces

Analog and digital audio-out, Mic-In, VGA-Out, TV-Out (S-Video).

1x PCMCIA Type II Card Bus supported Modem and LAN

56k V.90/V.92 modem and fast ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit LAN (includes telephone cable).

Battery: Smart LI-ION Battery

8 cells, 4400mAh, Runtime: up to 4h. Charging time: approx. 2.5hr (power off)/ approx 3.5hr (power on).

Dimensions & Weight: 363(W) x 366(D) x 34.2(H)mm, approx 2.75kg.

Huge Software Package!**

Microsoft® Windows®XP Home SP2, Microsoft® Works Suite 2005, Microsoft® Flight Simulator 2004, Cyberlink DVD Solution (PowerStarter, PowerDVD, PowerProducer, PowerDirector, Power2Go, PowerDVD Copy, PowerBackup, PhotoNow!, MediaShow), Cyberlink Power Cinema 4.0, Skype Software incl. Headset and 120 minutes free telephony, Wanadoo Preload
thanks to everyone who has thanked me!

Comments

• robonz
    robonz Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    i got one of their last laptops, the gericom ego for £799 sold on boxing day. had a couple of issues with it, that are now sorted and im very happy with it.
  • robonz
    Options
    should i have added this to the 'Grab it while you can' forum? i guess someone else will closer to sale date?
  • robonz
    Options
    any opinions anyone?
  • MoneySavingGenius_2
    Options
    The new issue of computer active has a review...OK laptop, desktop replacement, so not too compact, average performance in windows tests, but got 4 stars still I think for the overall spec.

edit/
    Display good, not expceptional
    Recent games play in fairly good quality
    Not the slimmest of notebooks, light compared to peers - 2.75kg

5 stars, "not the most stylish of notebooks but its packed with all features most people will need at a superb price"
    + "fast processor, big hardisk, all types of wireless support"
    - "Not very impressive design"
    It also says "if stocks run out between 12-25 may, speak to staff - Aldi has said it will order one for you". No rushing then :)
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
  • Richie147
    Richie147 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I also bought the Gericom EGO laptop for 799.99 after Xmas. Not had a problem with it at all. Great piece of kit.
  • monomer
    monomer Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got this laptop for my sister today. I have to say that I'm impressed.

I had to take a few minutes to figure out the DVD drive though. Having used a number of laptops, I expected to see a tray pop out when I pressed the 'eject' button. Not so on this computer! It's like a CD player mechanism on a car, where you push the CD or DVD into a slot, and it grabs it.

The manual that comes with the notebook is very minimalistic, but first impressions of the laptop are good. :)
    "...And I gave that man directions, even though I didn't know the way, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am this week." -- Homer Simpson
  • Hi
    Bought This laptop today , there were only 7 available to buy on the day and a queue of approx 35 people ( not all wanting laptops but after other bargains as well.) They were then taking orders. First impressions are its a great machine, I agree the instruction booklet is lacking in " You have the following software etc installed ---here's what it does and how to do it"
    Other than that its running well ---now if only I can figure out how to get it onto Wireless network??
  • onzey
    onzey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Assuming the laptops wireless capability is switched on I would expect the laptop to recognise any available networks and offer you the chance to connect.
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know how the external drives were selling? - I can't get to Aldi till Saturday
  • Any one know a thread that shows cheapest computer insurance and cover? as I cannot seem to find one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure