PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Budgeting spreadsheet

In various threads we are discussing budgeting so I thought I'd post this link to the main site:

BUDGETING SPREADSHEET

It is a budget spreadsheet either on Excel or online for all spending thoughout the year.

It doesn't split grocery into anything other than 'food shopping' so if anyone else wants to post there grocery budget spreadsheet (including how much you've saved on BOGOF's etc) feel free.

HTH
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    I don't use a spreadsheet for the grocery budget. I saved all of my receipts for 1 month to get the amount I was spending and, then knocked a bit off and tried to reduce the amount I was spending (if you knock off a few quid a week each until you get to an amount you are happy with, you don't notice so much)

An idea posted on the monthly grocery challenge (by Sarahsaver, I think) is to have a seperate purse for the grocery budget. That way you can physically see how much you've got left, and if you have a light month and don't spend it all (yeah, right) you can put it in savings with Queenies pin money challenge.

Another idea is to keep a diary (or a list on the spreadsheet somewhere) of the meal plans. That way when you are bored of having the same thing over and over you can look back and see if you used to have anything different and revive it.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Vikingfan
    Vikingfan Posts: 254 Forumite
    Is there anyway to make changes to the original Budget made in the spreadsheet without redoing it all?When I try it asks for a password
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a page of my spreadsheet set up as a list of everything I buy and the price. I simply copy over what I need that week into the last few columns which adds it up as I go along.
    I have another page set up as monthly credit card expenditure which has estimates for what I'll spend in the upcoming months already on there, including groceries.
    Yet another page has all my expenditure per (4 weekly) wage packet, of which one figure is the monthly credit card total.

Here's my estimated CC spending for April (CC month starts 18th Mar)

April
    Tesco's 41.00 est
    Tesco's 41.00 est
    Tesco's 41.00 est
    Tesco's 41.00 est
    Morrisons 5.00 est
    Morrisons 5.00 est
    Morrisons 5.00 est
    Morrisons 5.00 est

Food budget 184.00
    Food spent 184.00
    Other spending
    Amazon 26.99 est

Fuel 2 -
    Fuel 27.00 est

OK, it didn't copy over too well but you get the idea.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Jumanji_2
    Jumanji_2 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Vikingfan wrote:
    Is there anyway to make changes to the original Budget made in the spreadsheet without redoing it all?When I try it asks for a password

I've been wondering the same thing. I would like to remove some catergories and tailor it more to my needs so if anyone has any help or advice please let us know! :)
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    I have a budgeted figure I try to stick to more or less, but then I have a spending diary and I put down the figures for each catagory per week then average them. this gives you a better idea of how you are doing in sticking to your budget and also helps you make your budget more realistic.
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    I take out the money in cash each month and keep receipts so I can see what I've bought. Once the money's gone it's time for storecupboard challenge. That's the best way to stop yourself going over budget!
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm a pen & paper gril, I simply write down the ammoutns availble in each catagory in my diary a the start of each month & subtract each cost as I spend. It doesn't get much more basic but I have access to it 24 hours a day & it keeps my maths in practise.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure