Fund choices....

Options
13»

Comments

• whambamboo
    whambamboo Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Options
    EdInvestor wrote:
    But the main attraction of traackers is their low charges, typically 0.5%.In a pension that attraction is immediately cancelled out because the pension annual charge is typically 1-1.5%. Often the provider pockets the entire dividend yield - almost 3%.

IMHO trackers if wanted should be in ISAs, or held direct.These days you can often get access to good quality external managed funds in a pension for not that much more than you would pay outside, even at a discount broker. These are a better bet IMHO.

Could you clarify this?

Here are Legal and General's funds:

https://www60.landg.com/ifaportal/ifaportal/fundInfo/ifaPortfolioPlusSippFactsheets.jsp

The UK Equity Index fund for instance charges:
    http://customer.morningstareurope.com/uk/lgp/pdf/snapshotpdf.aspx?id=F0GBR06PQL

0.2% AMC, which is tough to beat surely?

It appears from http://www.legalandgeneral.com/companypensions/employers/employers_4d.shtml that they charge an AMC on the pension itself, but that's not linked to his choice of investment - he has to pay it whatever fund he chooses because he has no choice but to use L&G to get the free money from his employer. Once he's paid the 1%/1.5%/whatever AMC, the funds look cheap. Or are there hidden charges on the fund itself beyond the 0.2% AMC?
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
  • whambamboo
    whambamboo Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Options
    EdInvestor wrote:
    There are loads of these funds about - they are very similar to trackers, holding more or less the same shares,but usually with different weightings.This can reduce the risk ( UK trackers are heavily overweight banks and oil/mining companies), but you are not getting the benefit of any real expertise.

After all anyone can go out and buy a portfolio of shares featuring the top 20 on the FTSE, 100 quid in each, why would you pay anyone a fee for doing something so straightforward?

Well clearly such a service does have some value, as most people in this country are not interested in buying the top 20 shares on the FTSE, and managing them. That's why you get posts on here about share certificates from 1973 being left to heirs.

It's absurd to suggest that the management service is worthless. Managing things yourself is only free if you do not value your time. Whether or not the price is fair is another question entirely, but it's clearly not as cheap and easy to do it yourself as you suggest.
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure