Shampoo Substitute?

Options
Hi guys.

Anyone know an alternative to shampoo?

Not just cause I'm tight, but I don't really like it..leaves my scalp itchy and cheap ones seen to be worse.

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    have you tried the shampoo bars from lush?
    Blah
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was just about to suggest the same thing :D

The Reincarnate bar is fantastic, it lasts forever so it works out very cheaply and is great for sorting out itchy scalps.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't go eek! at this but........my husband doesn't use any shampoo at all! He just rinses his hair in water & I swear he has the softest, freshest smelling hair with no sign of dandruff or an itchy scalp! I think this would only work on short hair & if you don't use styling products as longer hair tends to get handled much more & so produces much more grease & styling products will build up & require chemicals to shift them. It's not something I would do as it wouldn't suit me but having seen the results my shampoo-free husband has acheived over the last 4 years I would recommend it.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Salad_2
    Salad_2 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm...maybe I will. I am a man, so can keep it short for a bit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try using Soapwort
  • humbug_4
    humbug_4 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    This sounds a bit yucky but it does work very well - cleans your hair and leaves it soft and shiny. Mix half an avocado with a little olive oil to form a paste and apply to your hair. Rinse VERY WELL with warm water (otherwise it starts to get a bit whiffy) :-)
    Just had an email saying press release. Can someone tell me where the release key is? :D
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Judi wrote:
    You could try using Soapwort

Judi please tell me more, I have been considering this option but never met anyone who has actually used it. Thanks!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To make shampoo made from the soapwort root:

1 tbsp crushed soapwort root

3 pints water

Place the soapwort into a saucepan and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 5 mins. Remove from heat and use to cool. Strain. Transfer to a sterilised bottle

To use wet hair then rub in several cupped handfuls (you need to use much much more than normal shampoo) and rinse.

Unfortunately, i am a mine of information. The recipe was sent to me via pm on another website but i never got round to making it.:o
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks the next time I pop into Neils Yard I shall ask if they sell soapwort and will try it and let you know!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • lincolnscot
    Options
    I saw some daytime TV prog about a woman who stopped washing her long hair, after 6 weeks it had sorted itself out and was in great condition. I did this for about 6 years and all was great, no skin problems and shiny coat, I mean hair.

Anyhow the problem was that I smelt natural or as my wife said like a dog, smell a dogs coat, youll get the idea. Now washing again and problems have started again This thread has given me the impetus to try the dog smell again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure