Great 'January Sales Tactics' hunt

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 5 January 2010 at 6:42PM in Shop but don't drop
What are your top tips for Jan sales bargain bagging? Do you wait for the last minute, coax sales people into extra bargains or grab bulk buy items?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• hungrynurse_2
    hungrynurse_2 Posts: 251 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2010 at 5:18PM
    I work in a hospital, and many of those who work the night shift going into boxing day plan their night and take their breaks so they are free at 5am, then go on to the next sale the moment it opens to get their pick of everything
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As I hate the crowds at start of the sales, I tend to go at the tail end,so I've only really hit the sales in the last week. But I have picked up some real bargains, especially in my local M&S outlet store where they are making final reductions on lots of Christmas stock items. Yesterdays star buy was an electronic game down from £29.99 to £2.99. :j When I considered buying one last week it seemed a good buy at £12.99 so glad I was too loaded down to actually purchase one then.:D

I do find that there are some excellent buys to be had if you can wait till the final reductions are being made in many high street shops.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2010 at 5:17PM
    My only tactics are to spot what I want at full price months (if not years!) before the sale. Decide on a price I am willing to pay for it. If it is at full price a price I would pay for it (but don't have the cash) decide on a price I can afford to buy it at.

Keep my eye on said item just incase a sale starts early or discount deal is enough that I can get it early.

If not bought by boxing day, if it gets 50% off I pick it up. If not I wait until its at least 50% off or the price I agreed for it. This way I don't get swayed by crowds of people and feel I 'have to have it' as everyone else may take it. If others want to buy at a price I cannot afford then this is tough, I have to live with it, there is a limit and I agree beforehand not to go over it. (I'll generally get it boxing day at 50% off because sods law says if I do wait any longer it wont be there anymore!)

I've learnt that I have to make 2 mental lists: stuff I really really want/need and stuff I'd like to have. The first list gets bough when it hits 50% in the boxing day sales. If its not reduced, its not getting bought. If its stuff on the second list (stuff I'd like to have) I wait until 70% off and if there is anything left its fair game.

I have found though my second list may not happen this year. I went to get some cash out for food on monday and my bank account is at zero! Scary scary scary as I thought I had the money!!! as I'm using a credit card now for food I know I don't have anything left for anything I "would like to have". Guess I may have to re think my sale tactics!
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2010 at 5:16PM
    I haggle for just about everything. If it's not the price you want to pay I just walk out and go elsewhere :). The other week I had a really bad haggle in a high street store, walked out. The next day I went to an outdoor store and they had one water bottle I liked left (other stores had loads elsewhere) with a few glue marks on (which came off easily :)). Price = £9.99 way over budget - haggled cos of the marks. Got it for £4.99. On the back of that I went to a school wear store for sports shorts. Sure the guy wasn't supposed to give me discount but got 10% off just for showing student ID. Act confident (even over confident) - they'll think you're their Mystery Buyer and treat you like royalty.

Okay so I'm new to haggling and so far have not had a successful haggle in Lewis' but that's my aim.

Also if something doesn't fit in the sales get it adjusted. Bring back the days where people made their own clothes etc. I was making a pinafore for the summer on the 25th out of a duvet cover :). Know your charity shops etc. If you know the cheap ones you don't have to go anywhere else.

And finally if you get bad customer service ANYWHERE email head office. It's usually profitable. Likewise don't take dodgy food back to the supermarkets. Email - you tend to get more (like a double refund :)).

Erme
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
    :dance:
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    If you see something you need and the price is right, buy it straightaway.
    I wish I had followed my own advice as I didnt get round to ordering a sofabed from M&S with 50% off in the sale - saving £650 -and it has now gone OOS. it is in a discontinued fabric so wont be coming back in either...
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    clairehi wrote: »
    If you see something you need and the price is right, buy it straightaway.
    I wish I had followed my own advice as I didnt get round to ordering a sofabed from M&S with 50% off in the sale - saving £650 -and it has now gone OOS. it is in a discontinued fabric so wont be coming back in either...

Rule no.1: if you really really want it, get it at the first reduction as it will sell out if you don't- but it wont sell out if you do. This is whats known as "sod's law"!
  • i agree with erme - it's always worth haggling, even in sales - last year in the Animal sale, there was further reduction on top of sale price if you bought 3 items - but you had to buy in blocks of 3. i wanted 4 things, so my husband persuaded the assistant to do the extra discount on the 4th item too (although he did tell us that he wasn't supposed to do it, and not to return the items as he would get found out!!)

i also think it's worth waiting a bit to avoid the crowds, and to get further reductions - i tend to go in the week everyone goes back to work - but if you leave it too long, there's only rubbish left!!!
  • I love to haggle, but M&S would hear nothing of it last Saturday, but then the silk trousers I wanted were down from £60 for £5 so was still quite pleased!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Rule no.1: if you really really want it, get it at the first reduction as it will sell out if you don't- but it wont sell out if you do. This is whats known as "sod's law"!

Yes you're right there Jennie - learnt that the hard way!
  • elise12
    elise12 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 January 2010 at 2:51PM
    If you spot something on sale that you like but you feel it might be further reduced in time but don't want to take the risk of losing out - BUY IT but hold onto the receipt!!! Many shops will allow you to return sale items you bought usually anything between 7 - 28 days after you bought it. So if you find the item has been reduced further still, return your originally bought item with the receipt and buy the new one at the discounted price. It's worth popping into the store or checking online a week or so after you make your sale purchases, I have found items I have bought at 25 - 50% off suddenly reduced to 75% off. EASY [and legal]!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure