MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should you give up your night out due to swine flu?

Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903
First Post
Forumite
edited 21 July 2009 at 4:29PM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

You've booked a £50 tickets for a concert tonight however but are feeling slightly achey, snuffley and a bit hot, early swine flu symptoms. It's too late to sell them (you've tried), no refunds or exchanges are possible and you’re really looking forward to the concert. You want to go, but are worried you may infect others.
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Depends how bad I feel. If I am up to it I go.

Besides I can always have a few days on the sick if I am still poorly the next day.

Of course if it was man flu then for something as serious that I would stay home.

• no chance, we're all going to get it anyway and everyone needs to stop panicking it's flu that's all.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    i wouldnt give up the ticket unless i felt really bad
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Remove the word "swine" from the question. Now would you go?

Anyway, if it's the flu, as opposed to a cold, you won't be going anywhere. That's how you tell the difference. ;)
  • Anyone who really has the flu couldn't even contemplate venturing away from their bed in a darkened room, or away from a conveniently positioned bucket. So your body will tell you before you get to make the decision for yourself......
  • Achey, snuffly a bit hot - its a cold go for it don't waste hard earned money
  • sismith42
    sismith42 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Remove the word "swine" from the question. Now would you go?

Anyway, if it's the flu, as opposed to a cold, you won't be going anywhere. That's how you tell the difference. ;)

I was once off work for a week with a cold (got a doctor's note saying "bad cold" even) :-)
    That said: I would go to the concert, but feel a bit guilty about it. I suspect I wouldn't be the only one with the flu (swine or otherwise)...
  • The general consensus seems to be that people would still go even if they had the Ebola virus. The more people get infected the harder they are going to work to find a cure.
  • janaltus
    janaltus Posts: 155 Forumite
    I go to a lot of classical music concerts, where coughing and sneezing would ruin it for everyone else, and I'm happy to say it occurs only occasionally to such an extent that it stops you from enjoying the music. :undecided But I do wish concert promoters (particularly classical music promoters) provided incentives so the coughers and sniffers didn't turn up at all, having been given a full refund. Or maybe they could listen from the comfort of a luxurious and soundproofed booth?

I hope I'd be too embarrassed, and worried about disturbing my neighbours, to turn up and ruin it for everyone else!:A

Now, if only we could tackle those Classic FM-type listeners who insist on applauding at the end of each and every movement ... :T
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Remove the word "swine" from the question. Now would you go?

Very true. I was ill for 6 weeks with flu, including 2 weeks in hospital!! I'm vaccinated against normal flu now, so if I was that ill, I guess I'd assume it was swine flu.

If I wasn't so ill, I would still go, as it's likely to become mainstream, eg everyone'll get it anyway. I always wash my hands, carry hand gel and tissues anyway as well as covering my mouth and nose when I sneeze/cough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure