PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dishwasher/Water Smells

Options

Comments

• mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have this problem from time to time. Used finish dishwasher cleaner - expensive but does freshen things up.

Also I then put sink unblocker stuff down the sink. Left that overnight.

Then cleaned the filter out, phew not a nice smell!

Finally, then left the disherwasher door open overnight to 'air'.

Much better now :T
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    Where is the filter and how do you clean it out?
  • MW4444
    Options
    I have found that the 'egg' smell problem can be avoided if I wash egg-stained plates by hand in cold water before putting them into the dishwasher. If the egg has hardened then I soak them in cold water first. I think the same smell can also come from glasses that have had milk in them.

I have also noticed that most people are failry insensitive to the 'egg' smell.
  • urg123
    urg123 Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MW4444 wrote: »
    I have found that the 'egg' smell problem can be avoided if I wash egg-stained plates by hand in cold water before putting them into the dishwasher. If the egg has hardened then I soak them in cold water first. I think the same smell can also come from glasses that have had milk in them.

I have also noticed that most people are failry insensitive to the 'egg' smell.

Thank you for this - I am incredibly sensitive to the egg smell. I rarely eat them because I cannot get rid of the smell. I have to wash the dishes at least twice.

I tried to search for a solution on the net but couldn't find anything. If anyone else has an alternative solution I would love to hear it.

URG x
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I don't have a dish washer now but I've noticed the eggy smell on my plates to even when I hand wash, but mind no one else can. I now "line" my plates with cheap paper ones when having egg n chips say or a full English breakfast on Sundays. Not very eco friendly I know but saves the water getting eggy and saves on washing up liquid, as I dont have to wash twice.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    According to this: http://www.dishwasher-care.org.uk/best.html even if you use those (expensive) 3 in 1 tablets you still need to add dishwasher salt to the machine. I find liquid (Clearspring) more economical than tablets as you can control how much you use. Another tip is to use white vinegar instead of rinse aid in the rinse aid compartment - works just as well but much cheaper and not full of nasty ingredients.

As for cleaning - run the machine empty on the hottest wash setting with a cup of white vinegar in it. You also need to regularly clean the filter and the spray arms as they can become blocked and smell or stop working properly.

When we moved into our current flat the dishwasher arms were blocked (but I didn't realise this) and after cooking a tomato dish with bits of tomato seeds left on the plates the tomato seeds were 'sandblasted' onto the side of the dishwasher where they dried and set hard from the heat - and I had to clean the mess off by hand.

How To Clean Your Dishwasher With Vinegar
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-clean-your-dishwasher-with-vinegar
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • 1sttimer_2
    Options
    Hi competionscafe - I live in a soft water area and was told I didn't need to add dishwasher salt to my diswasher! I often have a 'smell' left in the machine after a few washes, but I then clean out the filter etc and it's ok for a short while. I rinse any food off plates before putting in washer as there's only 2 of us now and it can take a day or two to fill, but I do use the economy wash. Perhaps I will try to do the vinegar wash on a high temperature to see if that alleviates the smell.
    Thanks
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • stupc63
    stupc63 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    yram_slim wrote: »
    Can anyone help with an odd problem I have now I have moved house? Whenever I take clean stuff out of my dishwasher I cannot put it straight away as it usuall has an unpleasant, what we call, "fish pond" aroma clinging to it. Sometimes this happens with stuff handwashed in the sink also. I have had the water board out to check, they say there is nothing wrong with our supply, I have tried various products designed to clean dishwashers etc. but the problem still persists. I have had Bosch on the phone, they "don't know" what the problem could be, Proctor & Gamble have not an idea what I am on about but surely I am not the only one with this problem? The plates etc definitely smell and the only way to eradicate it is to rinse everything in a warm white vinegar rinse before drying and putting away. I have used the lemon fresh products, but I don't want my plates smelling of lemons - I don't want them smelling of anything!

Over to you brainboxes! (P.S. there is nothing wrong with our drains - it's not that sort of smell!).

We have exactly the same problem, yram slim didyou ever get to the bottom of it and cure it??? Would really like to know how to get rid of it...
  • stupc63
    stupc63 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know YRAM SLIM its just that i am trying to get in contact to find out about the 'smelly water' problem just want to know if they had a conclusion to the whole saga it is really getting my wife down. thanks for your help!
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    we have exactly the same problem! i seem to be the only one who can smell it though, and i have to rinse everything before i eat or drink, otherwise i spend the whole meal 'heaving' from the smell! drives me MAD!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure