New Beginings!- Officially Debt Free TODAY!!!

Today is a great day for me

I have finally paid of my debt and am officially debt free! And no longer a wannabe. :j

My OH told me about this site over 1 yr ago and I would visit every now and again but never really put into action some of the things I read on here. It wasn’t until last summer that I really started taking notice and before I knew it I was on the site every opportunity I could get. I had been MSE’D!

Then around October I read the good news that Ms_London had won the debt free battle! :T This inspired me and made me feel totally embarrassed at my weak effort to get my act together, especially as there were other people with much larger debts than myself and doing admirably well... Southernscouser, James etc etc :T

The support I witnessed between members of MSE was and is fantastic and never have I seen a community online such as this. Martin really has something special here and I hope the site never changes.

Anyhow, I kept ploughing on.. chipping away at my debt, getting advice from other boards such as Debtfreewannabe, CC, Loans, PPI (thanks Avogirly;) ) etc. Such brilliant advice that has saved me well over £3k in interest and PPI payments. My hat goes off to you.

Suddenly and when I was not on the money saving hunt I found myself in the Arms:grin: , where there are a world of wonderful characters and avatars of bouncing pandas, waving flags, feisty Helens, winkin wanty’s, devilish rushnowt’s, bad kitty kippers, spongebob square pants, dorothy and Orange jaffas! to name a few.

Then Christmas came and those play.com codes saved me a small fortune and earned me money through quidco too! :j

Christmas was hard and it was sooo tempting to splash the cash :naughty: (or should I say plastic) You know how sometimes the more you want something the farther away it seems kinda thing (debtfreeness that is). So I tore them up to get rid of temptation and every time I was feeling blue I would pop over to funny money where MTM and others would have me in belly aching stitches. :rotfl: :D

Things were getting better, I was chipping away at my debt, receiving loads of direct and indirect advice and then someone opens a MK money savers thread! Smashing! :j Tips on what I can save locally. Biggin up all the MK savers in da house :wave: (as Ali G would say).

Then to my horror my lappy (laptop) was playing up and I could not get onto the sight for love nor money:eek: !! Now I know what withdrawal symptoms are. Who better to help me than those techies on the techie board. They had me up and running again in no time. :T

So I am now finally and totally debt free. And have received even more fab advice from the savings board, (thank you grumbler and others):money: and have met some new friends too (:staradmin maford):D

Most importantly what this site and everyone here has taught me, either from their feedback or reading their stories is to respect money, live within my means, spend wisely and I will be in control of my finances forever more. I am glad in a way that I have been in debt because I would never have learnt these valuable lessons or found this site.

I have been spreading the word about this site like wildfire, my friends and family are getting fed up of me. Even though I have saved them money :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rambling. I could put sooo much more… but bottom line is I just wanna say.

:T THANK YOU! :T :grouphug:

Oi!! I heard that……don’t think there’s any getting rid of me! ;) :rotfl:

£2 savers club here I come!
All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!

Comments

• :dance: :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :dance:
    CONGRATULATIONS!

:beer:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • crawley_girl
    crawley_girl Posts: 2,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well done! Such fantastic news and what a kick up the bum for those that are feeling low and unmotivated... it's totally brilliant!

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Wow, you must be walking on air. what a feeling! Congratulations and thank you for spurring me on to my own debt free day.
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • Chortle_2
    Chortle_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Congratulations!
    :beer::j:beer::j:beer:
    Highest Debt (Sept 04) -> £41,300 :(
    Debt Free - August 2006!! :D

• bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fantastic!!!!

I bet you are on a high and driving everyone crazy with your leaping about and bubbliness...and so you should be!!!
    You did it girl
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Wow! What a brilliant start to my day- and yours too!! What a great thinkg youve done!! Absolutely congrats from me :beer:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    :j :j :j :beer:

CONGRATULATIONS!
    :beer: :j :j :j
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well done $17mma - its great to hear about other people's success in becoming debt-free! Its inspiring to those of us who are still working at it...

Glad to hear that you are sticking around!

Piglet
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
    WELL DONE !!!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your story with us too :D
  • Gerradene
    Gerradene Posts: 179 Forumite
    :j Well Done :j

you're brilliant :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club member no. 019 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing