🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free Dial Up ISP.(No expensive 0844/0845 access).

Options
http://www.geoisp.co.uk/

If you have inclusive minutes on your landline or mobile you can access this Dial Up ISP,via a normal geographical number.(Unlike other suppliers there no need to dial an expensive 0844/0845 access number).

If you use the likes of 1899/18185/ you can use it via them for just 5p connection.

Its supplied by these people: http://www.coulomb.co.uk/products.html

"Internet access via dial-up on a geographic number: 020 8114 9845
Use any username and password to log in
Calls usually part of inclusive minutes for mobile users - cheaper than GPRS!
No catch, no subscription, no need even to register"

Comments

• replinco
    Options
    Please bear in mind, that BT specifically specify that inclusive minutes are for voice calls.

I thought I was going to get free internet access a while back using a geographical number for my isp, but then found a whopping bill, because BT had charged for all the internet access. It wasn't just an isolated number, I had tried a few isp's and they had all been charged for.

They may have changed over the last two years, but I seriously doubt it, as BT are not known for their charity to consumers without getting told to be so by Ofcom.

Just bear it in mind before you rack up too many minutes and find BT have charged you, because they provide the network, so they know which ones are data calls :mad:

Mobile is different because they often please theirselves what they do, but it will be definitely cheaper than calling a non-geographic number from a handset.
    1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just dialled it via 1899 to see what price per minute was announced before it and no price was :mad:

Will wait until online billing shows how much!
  • danejb92
    danejb92 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    replinco wrote:
    Mobile is different because they often please theirselves what they do, but it will be definitely cheaper than calling a non-geographic number from a handset.

How is mobile GSM set up (whats geoisp ip/port or DNS1/DNS2)?
  • im1dful
    im1dful Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I once tried to use up my minutes on my Vodafone contract by using a geographical ISP number and got charged over £30. I complained as their T&Cs didn't state that the minutes had to be voice and got my money back but had to agree to not do it again.
    1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1899 only charged the 5p, I wasn't on long but think I'd have been charged more if they were going to.
  • telsco
    telsco Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been using geoisp.co.uk for about 3 months.
    I use 18185.

Its particulalry good for when there is a huge windows update from microsoft , as I can just set it to update overnight when I'm asleep without worrying about the cost.

Note:- The first time you are using it for 2 hours, it'll tell you it is about to disconnect. There will be an option to tick a box and stay connected. Do it.
    The next time you are on, there won't be any message and you can stay on for as long as you want without it disconnecting. (you can of course disconnect whenever you want in the normal way)

Its great when you get your invoice from 18185 and see your 7hr overnight connection has only cost 5p!

The only downside I've found with it is that for the majority of the time, it only connects at 33kb/sec. Though occasionally it does start up at 51kb/sec (the same as my old paid ISP).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport