Cheapest and Fastest Law degree Please

Options
Hello guys

I am a masters degree holder in IT. About 6 years ago, i was doing law(part time). It was a 4 years programme but i stopped midway because i have loads of things in my hand.

I cannot do any 3 years program again. I am ok with CPE(common professional exam) or other conversion courses.

I dont really need to go to classes but want a cheap and shortest possible time to finish.

I have checked ILEX website but i think it take s a minimum of 2 years to finish level 3. Any ILEX folks in the forum?

Thanks

Comments

• Kaybenson
    Kaybenson Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was this post in a wrong section?

Help folks
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Kaybenson wrote: »
    Hello guys

I am a masters degree holder in IT. About 6 years ago, i was doing law(part time). It was a 4 years programme but i stopped midway because i have loads of things in my hand.

I cannot do any 3 years program again. I am ok with CPE(common professional exam) or other conversion courses.

I dont really need to go to classes but want a cheap and shortest possible time to finish.

I have checked ILEX website but i think it take s a minimum of 2 years to finish level 3. Any ILEX folks in the forum?

Thanks

The problem is your looking for a cheap fix. This doesnt really work with a Law degree.

You will need to do the CPE/GDL conversion. This is normally a one year full time course or some places will do it part time over 2/3 years. Be warned either will be very hard work and need a lot of time and commitment. A 2:2 degree will get you onto this course but be aware most competitive employers wont touch you later without a 2:1. It will likely cost you 6k-7k to do the course.

Once you graduate your looking at another 3 years as a trainee on a pretty average salary (20kish) Maybe slightly more if your in london or at a better firm.
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    First up, there probably are cheaper GDLs than Anihilator mentions, though you'd have to leave the south east if that's where you are (I know, cos I teach on one that costs well under £7000). But at the same time, I would suggest that you look carefully at what's on offer. Do you want to be one of 100 or one of 10-15? How flexible is the part-time option? Who will teach you - grad students or the same people who teach the LLBs? It's not just about fees. Thr right course will lead to a good result. And vice versa. Without knowing why you are doing it, and more about you, it's hard to know what the right course would be.

ILEX may be suitable, as an alternative to GDL, but if you want to be a solicitor, it's not going to be fast. The system is based around students doing it while also working full time. Don't be taken in by snobbishness: ILEX courses are seriously hard, and the exams are harder than some LLB exams. I've seen - and written - both.

Finally, also don't panic about your first degree, whatever other posters have said. Lots of people doing GDL do not have fantastic first degrees, but they are still employable. Do well on the conversion course, and you have a chance. Which is why the right course makes the difference. I'm assuming you don't want to work for a city factory, of course (I think that's what the previous poster meant by "competitive employers" ... but after all what they think you want may not be what you want for yourself). They probably do make decisions based on your degree class without knowing you, indeed on your primary school, so far as I can tell. But a successful and happy law career, albeit not quite as lucrative, can be had without going there.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • Kaybenson
    Options
    Cheers guys
  • Emily1990_2
    Options
    Hi, I'm on the GDL at the moment at the College of Law. It's costing about £6000, and you will need to do the LPC afterwards which can cost about £10,000-the one I'm going to do is £8000. You can sometimes get sponsorship with your training contract.

There is no "cheap" way into law sadly, however you can make use of loans and bursaries, I know Natwest do a student loan specific to the College of Law.

Anyway the GDL is one year full time, two years part time, followed by the LPC which is the same. Then a two year training contract-so it will be a minimum of four years before you qualify. It's not quick. If you are looking for a quick career and don't have much commitment to law you should look elsewhere.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    I'm not an expert in this field, but if you want a LLB with a shorter graduate route you may be interested in this (distance-learning from U of London)

Flexible study at a reasonable cost

You have 3-8 years to complete the LLB (or a minimum of 2 years on the Graduate Entry Route) and 1-5 years to complete the Diploma. For the LLB, the total fees payable to the University range from £2,330 on Graduate Entry Route A, to £3,765 on LLB Scheme B. For the Diploma in Law, the total fee payable to the University is £1,257 (you will also need to pay fees to the teaching institution). Please note these figures do not reflect any annual fee increase and assume completion in the minimum study period permitted.

The academic direction of the LLB and Diploma in Law is provided by a Consortium of outstanding University of London Law Schools: Birkbeck, King's, LSE, Queen Mary, SOAS and UCL.

The University of London LLB by External study is recognised as a Qualifying Law Degre.

http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/prospective_students/undergraduate/panel/law/about_qld.shtml
  • Kaybenson
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Is there anyone here who has done London external one?

The fees looks cheap but i am not sure if its that compulsory to have teaching session?

Cheers
  • Kaybenson
    Options
    Anyone done london external here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income