Musical Instruments - not paying VAT

Options
2»

Comments

• eilidhcatriona
    Options
    secgirl wrote: »
    Local Education Authority I think. Pretty sure they only exist in England, we poor Scots have some other board in place. However if you have a child taking lessons through the school it is worth asking if they have a purchase scheme. (Or try asking suppliers - some of them have schemes too.)

When I was at school in Aberdeenshire (admittedly this was some 10 years ago now) I bought a clarinet and a sax through the school, and got both half price - that was a whopping saving of about £750!!! I was lucky and had an excellent music dept, but I'd always advise any parent buying an instrument to seek advice from the teacher, because not only will they advise what will suit the child best, but they should let you know about whatever scheme is in place to buy lower priced instruments.
  • eilidhcatriona
    Options
    Madmel wrote: »
    You need to be very careful about this. In the rules somewhere I think it states that the instrument will be used in school and that the school will benefit from its use. I know in my own school we (as the music staff) have to sign something to say that pupil X will use the instrument in groups Y & Z. I know that they are very particular about sticking to rules, but it needs pointing out that it's not a free-for-all and that HMRC can come & ask parents for the AVT if they suspect it's a tax dodge.

On this note, the reason I got my half price instruments was that by having my own, I was freeing up school ones which meant others could also learn to play.
  • tedbasher
    Options
    For woodwind and brass instruments, you might check out www.johnpacker.co.uk who have a 10% discount this month to kick off the school year (enter the code SCHOOL08). The website suggests they also participate in the VAT free scheme. The 10% discount only applies to their own JP brand instruments, but I have several professional musician friends who are happily blowing on student model JP saxophones instead of their precious Selmers! This is unheard of. On their recommendation I've sent off for an alto and will post a comment when it arrives.

I'm not connected with Packers, and I can't comment on their brass/clarinets/flutes etc. but the prices seem very attractive. Their instruments are built in China, but don't be put off - a lot has changed in the last 5 years or so, and some Chinese manufacturers are really getting their acts together. Look at the fairly lengthy review of Ultra-Cheap Chinese Saxes on

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Ultra_Cheap_horns.htm

Even Yamaha are getting the parts for some of their instruments built there now, for assembly in Japan
  • davmal735
    Options
    We have recently bought a cornet for our daughter using the VAT free scheme. There are a couple of differences though, firstly it was a second hand instrument and, secondly we bought it from a shop in a different part of the country. The process couldn't have been simpler, mainly due to the shop's involvement. What looked like a bargain turned out to be almost a gift! I would recommend this for any musical instrument purchases, there were no fees or carrriage charges. I wont offend by advertising here, but if anyone wants more details I will gladly supply.

Dave
  • tedbasher
    Options
    Further to my earlier posting about John Packer instruments: My alto was delivered this week and blows extremely well. It's an ex-hire model (low mileage and tweaked in their workshops). It's solidly built, the intonation is good and it comes with a lightweight case, strap and mop. With this month's 10% discount it cost a little over £130 inc p&p and VAT (which you might be able to avoid paying, of course). It's the cheapest sax I've ever bought, but I'd be more than happy to play it on gigs. (My first student model sax cost twice that, 25 years ago - and it was rubbish in comparison.) Too bad they don't do ex-hire on all their instruments - I want a soprano and tenor. But alto is the one most learners start on. The supplied mouthpiece is serviceable for a novice but I'd recommend getting a name brand - Yamaha's are good at about £24.
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I second John Packers. I'm not a woodwind or brass player, but many of the kids use them and the service is excellent. They do participate in the scheme too.

In my school, parents go to the shop and, with the guidance of the instrumental teacher, select the instrument. The shop writes down the make & model and reserves it for them. Parents complete a form at school where they quote all the info plus say in which groups their child will participate and the school orders the instrument. Parents send in a cheque for the net amount.

When it is delivered, it is brought to the music department where the Head of Music hands it over to the child (this is meant to be done in a specific place but I can't remember where). Hope this helps someone.

On the subject of grants for instruments or musical activities, I am making up a display board at school showing all local groups. I rang our local co-ordinator and he sent me all the blurb. On the bottom it states that if you want information on grants or trusts, the Local Authority music service is the best place to start, at least in this area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure