Is it possible to suddenly become allergic to your dog?

Options
2»

Comments

• taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    tiff wrote: »
    Doctor thinks it could be either be Bronchitis or allergy related asthma and gave me a ventolin inhaler. Last night was the best nights sleep in a while and I didnt have to sleep propped up on the sofa!

It's good you seem to have got it sorted so soon, it must be a relief. :beer:

Glad you won't have to get rid of your dog or commit suicide. :rolleyes:
    more dollar$ than sense
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    WE bought a puppy 6 months ago when he was 12 weeks old. Within the last month or so I have suddenly become very wheezy every evening, for some reason not during the day time. Its got to the point where I cant sleep because of it. We went to Spain a couple of weeks ago and I didnt get this there, so I'm wondering if I can become allergic to a dog as it gets older or if there is something else in our house I must be allergic to?

Hi tiff!:hello:
    It's Tiff here - we meet again!:D

I started developing allergies about 5 years ago and having been a cat lover all my life and also having a dog, I was amazed to find out that you can suddenly become allergic to something. And I had to rehome mine as it triggered asthma. :o
    In fact, you generally become allergic to the things you use a lot - you just lose your tolerance for some reason.:confused: I wonder if it's possible to regain a tolerance?

Anyhoo, the hospital can do a skin patch test and you'll know within minutes if your skin reacts to something, that you're allergic. It's like little rows of sunbstances - a whole range of things that we come into contact with. It's a reaction if you start to itch or if your skin looks a little red. Ask your gp to refer you to the hospital hun.;)

It is kind of strange that you're only reacting in the evening - but maybe not if you go to work. The only other suggestion I have tiff, is that maybe it's your OH you're allergic to - after all, you probably only see him in the evening! :eek: :D
    As it's making you wheeze sweetheart, I wouldn't wait and see - the test is available on the NHS and as I said, you'll be told straight away so you won't be waiting weeks for the results.
    Take care hun.:A
    Much Love,
    Tiff xxx
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thanks Tiff, (keep getting pm's meant for you btw!) I will go back if this carries on, it does seem to have eased a bit but I am still wheezy. I only use the inhaler at night so that I can sleep. I'm at home all day but the dog (puppy) does bounce around a lot in the evening as he wants us to play so that may be it but because it has eased a bit I'm wondering if it is bronchitis after all.

Anyways, will go back to the doctor if it goes on, he said after 3 or 4 weeks.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tiff, (keep getting pm's meant for you btw!) I will go back if this carries on, it does seem to have eased a bit but I am still wheezy. I only use the inhaler at night so that I can sleep. I'm at home all day but the dog (puppy) does bounce around a lot in the evening as he wants us to play so that may be it but because it has eased a bit I'm wondering if it is bronchitis after all.

Anyways, will go back to the doctor if it goes on, he said after 3 or 4 weeks.

lol tiff.
    I hope you feel better sweetheart.
    I've taken up squatting on the Depression Thread under Health & Beauty if you ever need to relay me a message hun.
    If they were abusive ones or from that man called Bill :eek: who keeps writing to me in snail mail, feel free to keep them angel - but please forward any featuring the words cash, single and desperate!:D
    Must be something in the air hun - probably just a phase I'm going through! Do you still get phases at 42? :rotfl:
    Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience tiff. Good to hear you're still around hun. Till next time tiff - take care.;)
    Much Love,
    Tiff xxx
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
  • DebtphobicDeirdre
    Options
    The damp summer has made my asthma worse, could be extra spores in the air. You can get special shampoos too, they help with fur allergies. If you are ever in the position to get another pet there are breeds which are Known to be good for allergic people. Poodles are good and Siberian forest cats are supposedly good. I'm fine with my poodle but went to see a Siberian Forest cat in Darlington and was still allergic. Breeder said plenty weren't though.
    earn what you can, save what you can, give what you can :hello:
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I looked into dogs and allergies before we got a puppy. He is a cross between a shih tzu and a lhasa apso but its only the last few days that Ive found the shih tzu is a breed that produces a high amount of dander. You cant win lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have no idea if it works or not, but isn't there something you can wipe over a pet's coat to reduce the allergic reaction to humans?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mutley_muppet
    mutley_muppet Posts: 1,071 Forumite
    Options
    My OH is allergic to the dog's Frontline spot on flea treatment. When i put it on the dogs he has to stay away from them & not touch them at all.
    Just a long shot incase you had used any flea sprays/spot ons on your dog before you got ill?
    Hope you feel better soon,
    MM. x
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport