“Electricals Haggling” Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• paul5046
    paul5046 Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    jgriggle wrote: »
    Always tricky with electricals as the margins are so low as all the retailers are selling identical items and all want to be cheapest. I spent 8 years in electrical retail, both in big chains and smaller independents. So here goes!... Single purchases i.e. a TV have little chance of discount as the salesperson will earn next to nothing to sell it to you, and most likely earn nothing if they discount it. This means they'd rather let you leave empty-handed than waste 10 minutes with you and miss out on a juicier sale. If you buy a warranty you have more leverage but these are generally a waste of money (but not always) Big brand stuff usually makes no money for the retailer as they all compete to be cheapest and often sell at a loss. The best you'll get is a price match. If you are buying lots of stuff it's worth asking - you can normally get free cables and accessories as the mark ups on those are huge (around 70-80%). (1964, it's unlikely that Comet would go below 400 quid on your LCD as it probably just isn't worth their while. No harm in asking though!) The best advice I can give when asking is: be nice! If you come across as being rude or patronising, or demanding to see the manager, you have no chance (think about it - if someone was rude or patronising to you would you be inclined to give them what they want?!) I used to enjoy dealing with people who engaged in conversation, were prepared to pay for quality, listened to advice and were pleasant to deal with. I'd make sure that they got the best deal for their money and they went away happy. The thing most guaranteed to annoy were the people who'd come in, point at the cheapest plasma screen in the shop and say "Oi mate, wot's yer best price on this telly?"! Hope this helps, and good luck!

Good advice. Personally i try to get a good deal only by shopping around, and getting cables off ebay. I also look elsewhere for warrenties. Dont give staff a hard time as you say. Look elsewhere for discounts ie watches.
  • I've seen a netbook in PC World at £279.99 - I can get same item elsewhere on a well known site on internet for £256. I wanted to get it from PC World as I want the Whatever Happens warranty (being a netbook with a 12 year old liable to dropping and breaking it).

PC World have only the display model left which chappy said he'd bring down to price match the site price I'd seen BUT on the other wite I'd be getting a pristine never out of the box model for £256 not one every Tom, !!!!!! & Harry had played with. Don't get me wrong the one in PC World looks immaculate and they're going to sort it all out so it's ready to go.

Anyway did a bit of haggling but he said the best they could do was price match, then if I took the £3.99 a month warranty they'd install another 1gb of RAM to make it 2gb and they'd do that half price for £35 installed.

What would the normal discount be for an ex display item? I got 10% off an already discounted price in Comet for our main PC so think same should work at PC World.

Any help advice appreciated....going back this afternoon to make a decision.
  • MSE_Sarah
    MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback so far. Please keep adding to this thread if you have any other comments or suggestions on electricals haggling.

MSE Sarah
    Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Freedmaniac
    Options
    Bolstered with confidence after reminding myself of the principle of not simply accepting the first price, I visited JL to buy a TV.

Forget haggling - not a chance!
    Couldn't even get them to do the set-up for free when they deliver!

I have certainly known them to price-match in the past and, to be fair, this TV seems to be the same price everywhere with the same included warranty.
    JL certainly do seems to offer a better level of service when buying and so that is why i like to stick to them for this type of purchase.
    Perhaps they are beginning to realise that !!

I'd love to know what people were buying when 72% of them reported being able to haggle the price down!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure