paying council tax late

Options
2»

Comments

• kaznelson
    kaznelson Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From past experience if you make more than 2 payments late (15 or 30 days, not sure?? ) in one year, you forfeit your right to pay in instlaments.

The council will then demand the balance in full.
  • StevenP_2
    StevenP_2 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    You will most loikely get a fine, £50-£100 if I rememeber rightly. Whether you pay it is up to you, lots of people in my borough get away with it.

Never heard of this anywhere , ever

source ?
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    A good idea if you find yiu always pay late and you pay in ten instalments, is to pay in advance. For example, if your payment is due on April 20th and it is easier for you to pay on the 28th of the month, then pay April's payment on March 28th, and then you will always be up to date instead of arrears and will still have your two months 'off' at the end - It will just be January and February instead of February and March.

I have always done this so I can pay to suit my budget.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • melvis
    melvis Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A good idea if you find yiu always pay late and you pay in ten instalments, is to pay in advance. For example, if your payment is due on April 20th and it is easier for you to pay on the 28th of the month, then pay April's payment on March 28th, and then you will always be up to date instead of arrears and will still have your two months 'off' at the end - It will just be January and February instead of February and March.

I have always done this so I can pay to suit my budget.

This is what I do, I get paid 18th of each month and Council Tax is due on the 2nd so I pay 2 weeks in advance each month.
    Small business owner 🧵 Ex MSE comper 🏆 Student loan repayer 💴 Romanian dog rescuer 🐕 Hopefully a cost of living survivor 🤞🏻
  • melvis
    melvis Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And with regards to OP's query... with our Council if you pay late more than twice in the council tax year, you lose your right to pay monthly and the remaining amount due for the year becomes due in full.
    Small business owner 🧵 Ex MSE comper 🏆 Student loan repayer 💴 Romanian dog rescuer 🐕 Hopefully a cost of living survivor 🤞🏻
  • vicki_b
    vicki_b Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    i rang my council and they said it is only classed as late if it is a WEEK late and then letters etc will get sent out..three days doesnt matter at all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure