PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are These The Same & If Not Will It Work?

Options
I wanted to 'make' blini with smoked salmon and cheese n chives to have with my afternoon Royal Wedding tea party. Ive managed to get some cheap off cuts of salmon but i cant find blini's anywhere. I know i could try and make them but whilst shopping I found some mini scotch pancakes / pikelets.

Are blini and pikelets the same thing and if not would pikelets with cheese and salmon on work?

Many thanks

Pix
:jDebt Free At Last!:j

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blinis are just little russian pancakes, there's no sugar in them so as long as your mini pikelets don't contain sugar they'll be fine. Very simple to make though, it's just flour, egg and milk if you fancy giving them a go.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, if they aren't sweet, they will do the job. Would take you minutes to make tho!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pixie1 wrote: »
    I wanted to 'make' blini with smoked salmon and cheese n chives to have with my afternoon Royal Wedding tea party. Ive managed to get some cheap off cuts of salmon but i cant find blini's anywhere. I know i could try and make them but whilst shopping I found some mini scotch pancakes / pikelets.

Scotch pancakes are sweet so it would be an interesting combination to say the least! If you don't want to make your own (MSE option), then you can find mini-blinis in the chiller section of Sainsburys near the houmous and dips - can't comment on whether / where other supermarkets store theirs.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Aren't blinis a yeast dough made with buckwheat? If so, those scotch pancakes might not be a perfect substitute but I reckon almost anything with smoked salmon and cream cheese is a winner.

Sour cream and caviar. MMMM!
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    blinis made with yeast and buckwheat flour
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4354/dead-good-blinis
    pikelet recipe (an unsweetened yeasted mixture similar to crumpets)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/14/crumpets-muffins-pikelets-farls

Pikelets would be a reasonable substitute for blinis but scotch pancakes/drop scones which are sweetened and not made with yeast would not.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm sure we don't have a blinis thread but we do have this one on pikelets?

You could either try the sweet pancakes and just say that's how it's supposed to be (taste one?), or why not use crackers or french bread if you don't want to make blinis?

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills