Shopacheck Data Breach

Options
PROLIANT
PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
As per the title, today I received an email from Shopacheck informing me that 2 data backup tapes have gone missing from their IT Dept containing personal financial details of its customers.
Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.

Comments

• phoebesmum2105
    Options
    I got the same letter last week, ??? what could this mean??
    Sealed pot (who knows?)

All debts paid in 2013 :T, apart from overdraft :(, now to tackle that:)
    £3760.00/£
    DEBT FREE FOR CHRISTMAS 2014 please:j
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It means potentially someone could decrypt it and obtain your details that they held if it was on that backup.
  • phoebesmum2105
    Options
    Seems a little odd to me, surely this is a major breach of a persons confidential information!!!!!!!!!!

I have found out that shopacheck were or are Welcome finance, I don't even have a loan or anything with them,all paid off ages ago!!!!
    Sealed pot (who knows?)

All debts paid in 2013 :T, apart from overdraft :(, now to tackle that:)
    £3760.00/£
    DEBT FREE FOR CHRISTMAS 2014 please:j
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Backup tapes will contain up to 6 years worth of account data depending on the business rules.
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • ASmith
    ASmith Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I received an email too and posted about it the other day - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3707771

I've never taken out a loan with Shopacheck or any other company.

I wonder if the email is a scam taking advantage of the real data theft (for which I believe they send a letter?) Plus they spelt my name slightly wrong, which also makes it look like a scam.
  • Ayrshireman
    Options
    Wouldn't say it's the first knew someone who was an agent for provident who would tell clients about other clients etc and disclosed via a letter to someone who was in arrears to their employer ....thats what I call a breach!
  • Traceyg
    Traceyg Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I posted this last week about Welcome Finance, it was in our local paper

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3695707&highlight=
  • banks4u
    banks4u Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to the information commisioner
  • jonsyt
    jonsyt Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    I got one of these letters aswel even though i have had no dealings with them at all
  • kevinhartshorn
    Options
    I'v had the same letter yet never had any loan! Why have they got my details??? And the letter was sent to my new address. ( the info is prob in safer hands now than it was with shopercheck anyway)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure