Dumping Tescos For Morrisons-Any Tips?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi I have ditched Tesco in the last month, I have been spending around £90 in Tesco a week in Morrisons its around £60, so am gonna shop at Morrisons, Lidl and Approved Foods, I have managed to save about £150 a month doing this.:)
  • NewCustomerOnly
    Options
    thanks everyone - own brand t bags are fairly drinkable - no complaints from family so far
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2012 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Yes, Morrisons are just as bad as any other supermarket, so keep your wits about you.

Items that cost a £1 suddenly going up to £2.50 and BOGOF.
    None offer, but similar, items mixed in with offers.
    Offer signs up but completely different items on the shelf.
    If they run out of something they put a similar, but more expensive item in it's place, never a cheaper one!
    Items doubling in price for a couple of days, then being "reduced" to half price.

etc. etc.

As GJ states above, you certainly need your wits about you in Morrison's.

Tesco certainly has its faults, but where they win hands down over Morrison's is their customer services.

Based on our experiences at M's Doxford Park outlet, they did away with a dedicated customer services girl some time ago and their 'customer services' staff are now the people who serve at the tobacco counter - so if you have an issue with your receipt or purchases (which you invariably will) then you have to queue with people purchasing tobacco, newspapers and lottery's.

They obviously have had no training in how to deal with customer issues as they always blame the customer when items are mispriced - for example, when items are being priced as an offer, but the offer ended days ago and I was informed that it was my fault for not reading the small print on the shelf label.

I appreciate that Tesco have a similar set up, but their customer services are better staffed, better trained and just ...........better.

At least they apologise for their mistakes and compensate accordingly. Another example at Durham Tesco Extra last night - 2 jars Nescafe Alto Rica priced at £2.50 went through the checkout at £3.99 - went to customer services, apologies given and double the differnce refund.

At Morrison's Doxford Park, I would have been given evil eyes and a growl and probably been blamed for the incorrect price.

And as for Hygiene, safety and manning tills in Morrison's - dont get me started on those!:mad:
    It is only a matter of time before a pallet of tat that clogs up their aisles falls on a child. Hardly surprising they got fined heavily recently for safety failings in their stores.

Offer signs up but completely different items on the shelf.
    If they run
    out of something they put a similar, but more expensive item in it's place,
    never a cheaper one!

This happens tooooooo frequently to be accidental. I am convinced that this is a deliberate ploy by Morrison's to deceive customers.
  • singingsister
    Options
    We get their savers brand pasta, rice and spaghetti.

Much better and nicer than other brand value packs.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you've got to try out your local branches - the managers must make a lot of difference because our Morrisons is much better than the local Tescos. The fruit and veg are very good - lots of offers and unusual veg - and the meat is really good quality. Staff are also very helpful.

I think you get the same tricks about pricing from all the supermarkets so the advice above wherever you shop.
  • lancashiregirl
    Options
    I can only echo what others have said about having your wits about you, alwyas check the small print on offers. On numerous occasions the signs are still up when the offer ends, although this this can sometimes work to your advantage if you get a 'nice' CS assistant who gives you the product for free and a refund! (This has happened but not always)

I also agree that fresh fruit and vegetables are poor quality and don't last long.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I think you've got to try out your local branches - the managers must make a lot of difference because our Morrisons is much better than the local Tescos.

A very valid point - hence the naming and shaming of the Morrison's outlet I referred to, and I concede that some branches will be well run and managed, however, the mispricing theme seems to be consistent throughout their stores.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every time I've shopped in Morrisons I've ended up spending nearly double what I would in Tescos, its a bit scary!

I rate the special range of fruit but thats about it, the quality of the packaged meat (sandwich meats) are above and beyond any prices Tesco or sainsburys have when comparing like for like quality and weight. They do have a better salad bar- only because you can get slightly more for your money but thats about it.

Having said that, some offers are better then others, they had Covent Garden soup for £1.03 when Tescos had it for £2.15 and Sainsburys had it for 2 for £3.

Queues are way longer in Morrisons and the self service tills are just as frustrating.

OP, shop around, buy from street markets (fresh fruit and veg) shop at butchers for meat, shop at Waitrose for sandwich meats and price compare just about everything else as prices change on frequent basis!
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2012 at 8:38AM
    Options
    room154 wrote: »
    They [Morrisons] have another nasty habbit of stocking a space with a different item than the one that's on offer. This seems to happen when the offer item has run out, so instead of leaving a gap they just put something else in there. If you don't have your witts about you, you could pay more than you wanted to.
    That's interesting - I have noticed this a lot.

It's usually something that looks the same at first glance (such as the same product, but a different weight), and isn't covered by the special offer.

I had put it down to lazy staff who can't be bothered to take excess stock back to storage.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • lancashiregirl
    Options
    I would love to know how much Morrisons (and other stores) make each year out of people who don't bother to check their receipts to see if the price they think they are paying is the price they actually paid? I think if I added mine up over the years I've been shopping there I'd estimate they'd have had an extra £25 off me alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure