... replace my patchy lawn with gravel - HELP MEEEE!

Options
Evenin' all,

I'm a bit sick of my front lawn, as it's in really rubish condition and I can't be bothered ploughing months of time into bringing it back to the standard nature intended.

I therefore want to gravel my garden.

How should I go about it?

Would it be preferable to remove the turf and some soil first?, where would oyu recommend I get the plastic sheeting thingy stuff from? How long do you think it would take (my front garden's only about 15ft by 20ft)? Any other things I should take care with? etc...blah blah blah

Comments

• plumpmouse
    plumpmouse Posts: 1,138 Forumite
    Options
    Not an expert on garden but we are looking to do something similar at the side of our house.

We were going to take grass up and then put down weed control sheet. Then add shrubs and gravel etc.

Least I think thats what we are doing, Hubby is the garening expert!!!
    Give me the boy until he's seven and i'll give you the man.
  • Webbie_2
    Webbie_2 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    I got rid of our front lawn last summer, as it was in shade and mostly made of weeds and moss.

I did remove the turf, but for ease you could just put weed killer down to kill off the grass, then put down a garden membrane (any diy/gardern centre will sell you one) and lay your gravel on the top (should have it done in an afternoon or at most a weekend).

The gravel should be a good two to three inches deep, just to make sure it is difficult for anything to grow that you don’t want to grow! You might well need a couple of tonnes of gravel for such a big garden.

Any weeds that do appear are easy to remove as they tend to be small and weak having had to push their way though the gravel.

Worth the effort!

Good luck.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did this also last year.
    ordered 2 ton of mixed chippings 20mm from Travis Perkins(builders merchant)
    they come in 1ton bags(£35),when the delivery driver comes,get him to get as close as possible to your front lawn,and he will lift the bags with his HI-AB (small crane) then simply cut the bottom of the bag and it will spill the contents over the lawn,saves you useing a wheel barrow.
    Dont forget to give the driver the price of a pint
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OOOPPPS!!

I'm just about to do a reverse operation, of gravel back to grass, pity you don't live next door!!

We didn't bother with the plastic membrane, instead layed lots rubble, left from the extension, bashing it with sledghammer, if it was loose, then racking the gravel on top.

We thought of the big builders bags mentioned - Wickes do this too - but as we had good access, were able to get it cheaper from the sand & balast merchants & they just tipped it straight off the lorry.

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport