Found IFA to Do Transfer - Does This Sound Reasonable

Options
2»

Comments

• GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had a couple of quotes today, some fixed fee some by %.
    The report and transfer are one offs. For the ongoing possible annual reviews, 0.5% seems to be the general figure though it seems there are investment fees on top of that if anyone can provide a ball park figure for this. What is the total inclusive ongoing fee likely to be?
    Are the advisers likely to alter their fees or % later on. When the fund is up and running, can you still change adviser if you weren't comfortable.
    Thank you.
  • fjh
    fjh Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I met IFA today been quoted £9200 to transfer 1% then set up fee for platform, 0.5% Ann mgmt fee, then fee for passive / proactive fund

Based on this thread especially the sound advice of Dunstohnn this is high again restricted advice

I too am struggling to find one that will do for say 0.5% transfer

Who can help please ?
  • MightyMythop
    Options
    fjh - Assuming that your pension transfer is a DB to DC arrangement then you'll do well to find any IFA who charges less than 1% for a transfer that said it would be possible for a lower amount if the fund is exceptionally high.

IFA's not only have to be paid for time, advice etc but in the case of DB to DC transfer, as soon as that business is written then their PI Insurer will start looking at raising their insurance costs for the following year which can be dramatic as this is high risk business for IFA's. Afterall, there will undoubtedly be a call for a "have you transferred your pension and lost money" campaign in the near future which will inevitably lead to some clients claiming they've been mis-advised to transfer and lo and behold the large pension pot you transferred is a liability on the IFA,

Those reputable IFA's with solid procedures have nothing to worry about but much like the bad builder or plumber, there's a bad IFA out there too.

You need to do your research, get recommendations and shop around. Whilst your CETV is only initially available for 3 months, it may be worth spending a few hundred quid to get another after this should you still be on the lookout for a quality IFA in your locality for total peace of mind and ensuring the advice given is correct and right for you.

Good luck!
  • CFrog
    CFrog Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The quote from this first company is:
    £500 + vat for a report (Upfront before pension starts).
    £14,500 for the transfer (taken from the fund).
    0.5% thereafter for reviewing the fund.

Does this seem reasonable?

I am in the process of transferring a DB pension into a SIPP and have approached a number of IFAs for quotes for completing the transfer. On the face of it these figures do not look too far removed from what I've been quoted.

The IFAs who did provide quotes broke them down into 2 parts; a fixed fee for evaluating your DB pension to produce a TVAS report and a variable fee based upon a % of the CETV. The latter would only be incurred if the pension was transferred. Fees were typically £750 - £1000 +VAT (for the TVAS) plus 1-2% of the CETV (no VAT).

I noted Dunstonh's reference to 'decency caps'. Although it sounds reasonable, I guess the IFA's work on this (%) basis as their risk / liability is not capped.

I have previously approached 2-3 IFAs who would work as an intermediary in the transfer process because they didn't have the necessary qualifications to effect the transfer. They would typically work with another (qualified IFA) at a company such as Intelligent Pensions who would complete all the calculations and produce the TVAS report.

Hope this helps.
  • hyperhypo
    hyperhypo Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i am contemplating same too...looking at fee of 1% for CETV of over £400k...personally i wouldn't pay any more than £4,200 for this.

And would likely DIY the sum of this and my existing SIPP

I didn't pay for TVAS ...and whilst have had figures back it in no way advocates proceeding with the transfer...it simply addresses a comparison whether CETV invested ...and a named Insurance company was given by way of example...would provide drawdown equivalent to the DB at a certain date.

And it was via an "outsourced" organisation to my IFA who's not licensed to do this sort of work.

i read the analysis ....queried some of assumptions and when i spoke to the person after the TVAS stage they indicated that , purely on comparison alone , they would be able to recommend proceeding.

The report was almost certainly produced by inputting the data provided by the DB Admins into software ...there was no risk analysis , personal questionaire at this stage. My gut feel was that it was a 50/50 decision to transfer...i am agnostic about it and not desperate to get at the PcLS. I wonder how long it took to produce as the Admin report appears structured to deliver inputs into other IFA software.

I suppose i'm writing this because i'm not sure that the TVAS analysis in itself is sufficient to direct my final decision...that it lacks in itself any personal directive ..perhaps i need a second opinion too.

And certainly not averse to paying a fee to proceed...but for one of several thousand pounds it needs to have given me something more than i can get from time spent on cfiresim or similar.

I've seen a figure of 1% quoted elsewhere too, with a minimum of £2k spend.

i wonder if i could get some advice and get it done for £3k !!
    I wouldn't pay more than 5k for any amount of money...a requirement to do so would be high on a list of cons in the matter.

It's a tricky call though.
  • hennerz
    hennerz Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    hyperhypo wrote: »
    I didn't pay for TVAS ...and whilst have had figures back it in no way advocates proceeding with the transfer...it simply addresses a comparison whether CETV invested ...and a named Insurance company was given by way of example...would provide drawdown equivalent to the DB at a certain date.

And it was via an "outsourced" organisation to my IFA who's not licensed to do this sort of work.

i read the analysis ....queried some of assumptions and when i spoke to the person after the TVAS stage they indicated that , purely on comparison alone , they would be able to recommend proceeding.

How did you get it for free? Did you TVAS have a critical yield figure?

What assumptions were used? Was it invested in the markets at a certain percentage? "named Insurance company was given by way of example" can you expand?

This part is the million dollar question right? Do you feel that your drawdown income will be higher than that of the DB income? Obviously there are some other factors with benefits and personal circumstances too.
  • hyperhypo
    hyperhypo Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    @hennerz

On the "free" valuation this was on the basis , i suppose , that in some cases potential clients would proceed with a transfer, and that some might use in house invesments.
    However no obligation at all on either count.

I challenge the extrapolation that might db scheme would pay c. £17k when i'm 63....at date of deferment in 2012 it as £12.3k, and i'd had several updates since (at April 2015 it was £13.3k)...so i would have guessed c. £15k at 63, not £17k as in the TVAS.

I'm 57 presently.

However i accepted that the projection was made from the original 2012 valuation for payout at 63 using possible a fixed RPI value.

The CETV value was £422k.

Current DB scheme linked to RPI capped at 10%, 50% spouse & 50% dependants pension at death.

The critical yield was 12.6% based on no PCLS, matched against an unspecified Royal London Pension , but that i assume was based on the rather high value assumption of the DB value at aged 63

5% growth was assumed raising fund to £513k at 63.

Lastly the fund required to purchase an annuity to match the original TVAS ,with benefits to match DB scheme was £737.3k

When i first read and re-read the output, apart from thinking the DB projection was high at £17k at aged 63, for my part i couldn't see overwhelming case ....it looked to me a close call.

As i said i'm entirely agnostic over how to go forward...i don't believe the 1% charge is outrageous per se, i'm just not sure in this case , what i would be paying for, as a tacit (unwritten) nod to proceed appears to have been assumed at this stage.

I was put on guard by the high DB projection value , and thefore values used would make the Critical yield overly high too...although i'm thinking a redo of the calc. would bring the critical yield % down from 12.6% and thus make a more compelling case.

Finally of course i accept i'm the editor of last resort on all this.
  • RedMJ
    RedMJ Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for your input dunstonh. The advice/set up charges work out at about 2% which is what I am being asked to pay on my DB transfer. It works out at £11K which seems punitive to me and would have only been half that if my DB fund was half yet the work required by the IFA would be the same (I think).

Your comment suggests that this is way too much. What is fair and reasonable? Are there any guidelines? Many thanks.
  • poolsadie
    Options
    This is where I am very confused. I only want the TVAS (transfer advice) the actual transfer does not cost anything if you do it yourself (with my pension I get the form and fill out all the information inluding a copy of the transfer advice to repsective companies).

So, how do I get a IFA to complete a TVAS transfer advice only?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    RedMJ wrote: »
    Thanks for your input dunstonh. The advice/set up charges work out at about 2% which is what I am being asked to pay on my DB transfer. It works out at £11K which seems punitive to me and would have only been half that if my DB fund was half yet the work required by the IFA would be the same (I think).

Your comment suggests that this is way too much. What is fair and reasonable? Are there any guidelines? Many thanks.

If your DB fund was half the size then the IFA's liability would be half the size. And in general people with less money have less complex needs.

Everyone will have their own opinion on what is reasonable. The more important question is - what will other IFAs charge? If you don't think it's reasonable, your choice is either to get the service from someone who does charge a reasonable fee, or not have the service.

£11,000 may be more than other IFAs would charge but it is not "punitive" at 2% of the fund value. Presumably if you want to transfer out of your DB scheme then you are confident you will deliver dramatically superior returns to those the DB guarantees will have provided - the improvement has to be dramatic or they're not worth the added risk. So surely 2% is neither here nor there? Won't the superior investment returns make up for that in a year?
    poolsadie wrote:
    So, how do I get a IFA to complete a TVAS transfer advice only?

Ring round local IFAs. Ask if they will provide advice on transferring a DB pension, and if they will sign to say that you have received advice even if the advice is negative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure