Options

Comments

• paul2louise
    Options
    I fancy making some homemade chocolates. anyone got any good ideas. thanks
  • VintageBelle
    Options

You can make a ganache filling then coat them in chocolate. Sorry I don't have a recipe to hand so it may be worth googling it. I have made them which means they must be simple :rotfl:
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can make a ganache filling then coat them in chocolate. Sorry I don't have a recipe to hand so it may be worth googling it. I have made them which means they must be simple :rotfl:

Thanks I will have a look
  • Timo23
    Options
    I took the early booking M&S deal for delivery of roses on this site, unfortunately they didn't deliver! :mad: Why do these places put out these offers, when they clearly don't have the ability to honour them?!

Meal and drinks then a movie to finish the day, not very:money: but thanks to M&S I have some making up to do.

I won't trust M&S to deliver on time in future, I would recommend no-one else does too - you have been warned!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    So here it's come round again - lots of good ideas from last year are still valid. Try homemade chocs: you can buy cheap bars from Lidl Fin Carre, or Sainsbury's Basics range, break into chunks, microwave in bowl stirring often and don't let bubble, then pour onto baking / greaseproof paper and sprinkle OH's fave topping on top. Chopped cherries, pistachios, flaked almonds, toasted coconut, raisins, even chili flakes, the choice is yours. It makes a nice posh slab (£14 in Hotel Chocolat), or you can use biscuit cutters to makes hearts or star shapes. For a naughty Valentine, try using a gingerbread man cutter, and decorate your chocolate figure as appropriate!
  • CKgeordieinlondon
    Options
    Usually were away ski ing on Valentines Day, but this year I'm not going so I'm postponing it for a week. Hopefully I'll get some good stuff in the reduced to clear sections.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Instead of buying a card, make your own.
    But cut it up like a jig saw, so when they open the envelope all these pieces fall out, you could even make the pieces heart shaped.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • happyinflorida
    Options

This is dead easy and I love these, so make them all the time!

I used to buy the rounds of chocolate that have dried fruit and nuts on top of them, for a rare treat - they are very expensive.

Then I had a bright idea, make my own. So I get one of those sillicon sheets, or use greaseproof paper - buy cheap choc, I love white choc, but buy what you like or the people like that you are giving to, I use Lidl's or Aldi's 30p a bar and get two - makes about 16.

Use your smallest saucepan, put 1 inch of water in it - put a non meltable bowl on top that doesn't touch the water and break the choc up into squares, stir it around until it melts.

Using a dessert spoon or whatever you've got - put spoonful on the sheet, if it comes out thick - swirl the spoon around to thin it out a bit - with practice it'll get better and easier!

Then put on top what you like - I use roasted and salted nuts as I prefer them, but use what you prefer. I hate raisons and sultanas but use them if you like them. I've also tried dried cranberries and they are delish.

I keep all the bags of nuts and fruit in one big bag and take out as much air as possible to keep them fresh for longer.

These are super tasty and so cheap in comparison to what they're sold for in the shops, especially Belgium choccy shops!!

Good luck!
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doing a dinner that is really hands-on like making your own sushi or fajitas adds a bit of fun and romance to a home cooked meal.
  • Pawan_2
    Pawan_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    We don't really do Valentine's Day, but my birthday is then, so on years when I have gone out for a birthday dinner, restaurants have been full of people out on valentines dates, and been super busy; so now I don't tend to go out for dinner on my birthday.

This year, we are going out for a nice birthday breakfast instead - which will be a lovely treat, and probably better value, as breakfast doesn't seem to get hiked up in price in the same way as dinner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure